Keeping your Pekins healthy

We have three four-week-old ducklings--a Pekin, Welsh Harlequin, and a Cayuga. The Pekin has recently developed breathing problems, I think some kind of upper respiratory infection, I'm taking her to the vet today. I think perhaps the water container I had in their brooder wasn't actually deep enough for her to dip her whole head in, since she's already so much bigger than the other two. Just something to keep an eye on for yours! I'm excited for you, new ducklings are the cutest.

From what I’ve read about Pekins having owned one think the Jumbo Pekin can have problems with her legs and feet not only from niacin deficiency but the sheer weight and volume of the duck. They were breed to be a livestock meat bird, faster to the table and market so maybe less regard to longstanding health. That sucks beca they make unbelievable pets and companions who have huge personalities.

Almost all of my ducks are fairly large bodied breed, if I stay with this mad mad hobby I’m going to smaller breeds that don’t suffer from our meddling in the gene pool as much.

My Jumbo Pekin had a movie star waddle and gate lol. It was comical but I completely understand the challenges they have for leg and joint problems. I am going through the Bumblefoot Blues with my Blue Swedish now. Then found another booboo foot this evening on a Cayuga 🤦‍♂️

I am going to replant the mucky wet area In front of the coop this weekend and fence it off for a spell. I’m thinking I’ll keep moving the pools and common area to keep more grass cover and less mud and poo mix.
I would like to try a mulched area but I know they will dig it up. What about splinters?

My pekin has had a lot of foot issues and my avian veterinarian has recommended grass outside, 4-6 inches of clean regularly fluffed straw inside the barn (or coop), and several layers of towels when she is inside. She told me to avoid all boards, gravel, and rocks. Following the recommendations has helped a lot, and even solved our problems when she was younger.

Unfortunately, I have a lot of experience with an unwell pekin. I've just spent the last several years devoting myself to keeping one alive. She's 7 now and I feel we've gone through everything.

My avian veterinarian has also told me that "food production animals, bred for meat or eggs, often have issues because of growing too quickly or overactive reproductive systems." Their bodies don't care if we love them like pets or not. Sad, but true.
Ok, I understand. I'm planning to surround their pond with rocks though, so I'm not sure I can completely avoid them.

I think I'm mulching the run but maybe sand is a better route? I'm not sure.

The potentially fatal consequences of sand scared me away from it!

Some people seem to not have any issues with mulch. From my experiences I would recommend keeping an eye on their feet. If they start experiencing repeated incidents of bumblefoot you might find it worth it to switch to something softer.

Make sure to post photos of your babies! 💖
Me too!

I watch for bumble foot on my chickens too, I’ll be extra careful with these guys.

They arrived this morning! https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/💐🐤the-ducklings-are-here-🐤💐.1458748/page-2#post-24291818

We have three four-week-old ducklings--a Pekin, Welsh Harlequin, and a Cayuga. The Pekin has recently developed breathing problems, I think some kind of upper respiratory infection, I'm taking her to the vet today. I think perhaps the water container I had in their brooder wasn't actually deep enough for her to dip her whole head in, since she's already so much bigger than the other two. Just something to keep an eye on for yours! I'm excited for you, new ducklings are the cutest.
Let’s see picture of the container so we can help evaluate if that is what happened.

Good luck with your new birds! I hope your Pekin will be alright

Back
Top Bottom