Keet hatched early, WWYD

parsnips

Chirping
Jun 25, 2023
UK
I put the eggs in the incubator on 26th June so wasn't expecting any action until tomorrow or the next day... yesterday one was pipped and today it hatched looking pretty normal, is currently alternating between flopping around the other eggs and snoozing. Due to an error, my brooder won't be ready until tomorrow. do i leave this guy where it is, or i could put it in a spare Brinsea mini overnight?

With my last hatch only one made it and then failed to thrive so i'm over invested in this one! I think at least one other egg looks promising. (Our guineas are only just a year old so I'd been told not to expect miracles with these eggs, not sure if that's correct or if I've just been unlucky, seem to have a fair few quitters)

What did you end up doing?

For the future, many leave chicks or keets in the incubator for 24 or 48 hours. I’ve read here the outer limit is 72 hours. One day is no problem.

I went and bought another brooder the following day, then the day after that the delayed one arrived in the mail, which turned out to be quite fortunate as the next to hatch has spraddle leg so a hospital box has been quite handy while it finds its feet!

Spraddle keet is now in the same box as the early one and they are both doing well currently :) now i will just overthink about when to take the little hobbles off 🤣

Back
Top Bottom