Keets Dying

eleaf

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 5, 2013
The Bluegrass
Hello,

This is my first time raising keets. We received an order of 18 on 8/4. 4 have already died from unexplained deaths, and one drowning.

They're in a feeding trough on sand. The light is on one end and keeping at 95 degrees (cooler on the other end). No draft. Game bird starter (30% protein).

They all seem fine, then when I check on them in the morning I have found 2 dead ones each day.

What could be the cause? They all came from a very reputable hatchery that I've had good luck with buying chicks from.

We'll be receiving more keets early next month. I'd like to avoid all the dying if I can, and keep the rest of the ones we have healthy.

I never heard of feeding them 30%---that's a High protein. I have raised a lot of them----20% and a sprinkle of sand on their food is what they get. I put them on sand in a brooder one time and most died----I do not know if they eat to much sand or it just happened, but I want do a sand floor again until they get a few weeks old. Rarely loose one after I stopped that. Good Luck

I'm not sure from your post if they were mailed. I think so since you used the word "arrived" and I don't think a stork delivered them. ;) If so, mailing is VERY stressful in and of itself and that's why hatcheries usually send an extra in your order.

A few other thoughts:

Have you checked them for pasty butt? It can come on quickly and even the process of removing the paste with warm water has to be done quickly and then the keets need drying or they'll be susceptible to chill and will die from that. I had two pasty butts this year. One recovered, one didn't.

It can also be problems with cold and wet. Sometimes you don't even realize their bedding is wet - it happens so quickly even with constant monitoring. I've switched to using bath towels and change them out daily for the first week, then hose them, hang them on the clothesline in the sun for a few days then wash them twice and hang back out in the sun. A lot of work, but I lost two this year due to them falling asleep in a wet spot. :(

I've never used sand, but others have and have good luck with it. I would think it could get damp though especially within the first couple of days when their excrement is so watery.

I do use gamebird starter with 28% protein and then switch to gamebird grower at 21% protein, then a flock raiser by week 12. I don't think the food would cause it unless it was tainted, but you would have lost more.

Do you use an additive to the water? I keep them on electrolytes and a probiotic for a while. I don't know if NOT having it would have caused their death, but I think it helps give them a good start and I have to change out their water several times a day because it gets dirty.

I can't think of anything else. It could be that's it's not anything you're doing, but they were weak to start with - even coming from a reputable hatchery. Hope you don't lose anymore. It's always difficult to lose any of them, even when they are brand new. Good luck!

I'm not sure from your post if they were mailed. I think so since you used the word "arrived" and I don't think a stork delivered them. ;) If so, mailing is VERY stressful in and of itself and that's why hatcheries usually send an extra in your order.

A few other thoughts:

Have you checked them for pasty butt? It can come on quickly and even the process of removing the paste with warm water has to be done quickly and then the keets need drying or they'll be susceptible to chill and will die from that. I had two pasty butts this year. One recovered, one didn't.

It can also be problems with cold and wet. Sometimes you don't even realize their bedding is wet - it happens so quickly even with constant monitoring. I've switched to using bath towels and change them out daily for the first week, then hose them, hang them on the clothesline in the sun for a few days then wash them twice and hang back out in the sun. A lot of work, but I lost two this year due to them falling asleep in a wet spot. :(

I've never used sand, but others have and have good luck with it. I would think it could get damp though especially within the first couple of days when their excrement is so watery.

I do use gamebird starter with 28% protein and then switch to gamebird grower at 21% protein, then a flock raiser by week 12. I don't think the food would cause it unless it was tainted, but you would have lost more.

Do you use an additive to the water? I keep them on electrolytes and a probiotic for a while. I don't know if NOT having it would have caused their death, but I think it helps give them a good start and I have to change out their water several times a day because it gets dirty.

I can't think of anything else. It could be that's it's not anything you're doing, but they were weak to start with - even coming from a reputable hatchery. Hope you don't lose anymore. It's always difficult to lose any of them, even when they are brand new. Good luck!

Yes, they were mailed. And I'm sure that it's stressful enough.

I also figured it wasn't sand that was the problem, but using play sand. It's definitely moist. It comes that way. Feels like the sand on a wet beach. I'd used it with chicks and never had problems. But guineas seem more sensitive to being chilled/wet than chicks in the first few days.

I changed out that play sand for a bag of general purpose construction sand which is bone dry and all are well today. So that's a start: not going in to check the brooder to find 2 dead is a good change. I also put rocks in the water to avoid any drowning.

I'm likely to order more before the season is done. I need a decent sized flock on the ground come spring to eat these damn ticks!

Yes, they were mailed. And I'm sure that it's stressful enough.

I also figured it wasn't sand that was the problem, but using play sand. It's definitely moist. It comes that way. Feels like the sand on a wet beach. I'd used it with chicks and never had problems. But guineas seem more sensitive to being chilled/wet than chicks in the first few days.

I changed out that play sand for a bag of general purpose construction sand which is bone dry and all are well today. So that's a start: not going in to check the brooder to find 2 dead is a good change. I also put rocks in the water to avoid any drowning.

I'm likely to order more before the season is done. I need a decent sized flock on the ground come spring to eat these damn ticks!
I never tried play sand---its a fine sand. I use construction sand And all sand I use is put in the sun to completely dry before I put it in the brooders for chicks. Guinea's are Now always put in wire floor factory brooders and rarely have one to die.

Good Luck

@eleaf you can never have enough guineas when it comes to ticks...

That's why we're getting another batch before the season is out.

Hopefully we can fix whatever problem we're having. We've raised several batches of chicks in this exact setup and never had a single loss. As of this morning we have 7 dead keets since Thursday (leaving 11 total).

I've already changed the sand out to a completely dry construction sand, and I'll be changing the heat lamp out for a brooder plate tomorrow when it arrives in the event heat is a problem (though I don't think it is).

I think there's a problem with the keets. That isn't typical and the hatchery should know about it, especially since you worked to correct what you thought was the problem.

I think there's a problem with the keets. That isn't typical and the hatchery should know about it, especially since you worked to correct what you thought was the problem.

They know about it. They even extended their guarantee period for me, and they've made everything right by me.

I'm thinking part of the problem is they were stressed and many had formed bad cases of pasty butt. It's getting better.

I can say, however, that these keets REALLY like it after I clean their little booties and turn the blow drier on to make sure they don't stay wet. All of them have stopped fighting, relaxed, and closed their eyes while the blow drier was on. Lol

many had formed bad cases of pasty butt. It's getting better.

For sure something wrong if a lot of them are/were getting pasty butts. Pasty butt can be caused by the brooder set-up and/or how and what they are fed. I have had over 150 broody hens in 3 years or so---probably 1500+ chicks hatched by them and never see a pasty butt chick so that's why I feel the brooder set-up is important and can lead to pasty butts? I have hatched a lot of guinea's and had no problem with pasty butts?? Glad you were taken care of and seem to be getting it under control.

Back
Top Bottom