Keets in the Mail

Quote:
The cage I built is 48 inches long by 40 deep and 40 high. The reason for the odd dimensions is a single roll of 40 wide by 25 foot long Fiberglass reinforced plastic mesh covers it with only one cut. The PVC for the cage is only held together with the wire ties that hold the mesh in place. Access for the birds is a slit, as in an envelope, in one end. Then that is covered with a flap of mesh for closure. But because of the construction My little fat arms cant reach the whole length inside.. I did build them a perch and they line up on it like crows.... LOL.. I like the perch so much I built another but forgot to take it up there.

I have one guy who is a climber.... he flaps and climbs the mesh till he gets to the top. I am sure the same one I had trouble with getting him transferred to the new cage. He wouldnt let go of my fingers when I tried to let him go.... He flapped and climbed my arm as he went.... it took some fancy foot work to keep him on the inside of the mesh. LOL.

When we take the cage out of moms garage I will get some pictures of it. It took one roll of Cage material. Six PVC pipes 3/4 diameter schedual 40 for a thick wall. Four Corner connectors. And about a pound of Zip ties. LOL.

I bought a pipe cutter for pvc.... Wonderful tool everyone should have one. It cuts without any sawing or saw dust. Just mark and cut. There was only a few feet of left overs but enough to make a free standing perch three feet long and approximately eight inches off the deck.

OH and they have an automatic waterer with a five gallon bucket for the holding tank. I will take pictures of that. took me a while to source out the parts to do it but I am very happy with it.

LOVE THIS THREAD!!! Hi Deb!
frow.gif

Just have to add a pic of my new babies, only had them 2 days now.
smile.png

SAM_1699.jpg

Last edited:
Received a box of keets today 7-21. 37 arrived happy & healthy. They were mailed 7/19 in te evening. Says they hatched @10am on the 19th. Mailed priority mail for $15.25

Strombergs called me @930pm to let ke know they Put them in the mail that night.

I know a normal priority mail box from grandmas doesnt make it here that fast. I am asumming the post office actually Wants to make sure the birds arrive alive & they expedite the box.

Last edited:
Quote:
I learned from PeepsCA that they handle livestock shipments differently. From insulated vehicles to special handling in the post office itself. So the vehicle doesnt wait till its full. Probably why the shipment comes quicker than regular priority shipments. Woo Hoo.... What colors did you get? How do you like Strombergs. I have seen their website.

perchie.girl :

I learned from PeepsCA that they handle livestock shipments differently. From insulated vehicles to special handling in the post office itself. So the vehicle doesnt wait till its full. Probably why the shipment comes quicker than regular priority shipments.

That's just what I was told about the Post Office that I shipped your keets from Deb (I was told they ship LOTS of pigeons in and out of this particular Post Office all the time)... I don't know if ALL Post Offices put that much urgency or special handling into their bird shipments and deliveries tho... I'd like to think so, but I've heard some pretty awful horror stories about bird (keet) shipments/deliveries
hit.gif
Which was why I was a trainwreck waiting for delivery conformation on yours lol.​

Quote:
A face only a Mother could love huh WMR?
love.gif

afaceonlyamothercouldlove.jpg

Just wait till they start talking to ya (and never shut UP!)
big_smile.png

Congrats on your cute lil keetsies
wink.png
You need to keep up with Deb, and get 30 more
ep.gif

perchie.girl :

Quote:
I learned from PeepsCA that they handle livestock shipments differently. From insulated vehicles to special handling in the post office itself. So the vehicle doesnt wait till its full. Probably why the shipment comes quicker than regular priority shipments. Woo Hoo.... What colors did you get? How do you like Strombergs. I have seen their website.

With strombergs I only have 1 gripe. They sent me a letter in the mail as soon as I ordered my keets. Letter said - you will get a call or postcard to inform you of your ship date. Then in the 19th @930pm I get a call saying they shipped my birds a few hours ago. What if I wasn't able to get the birds from the post office on such notice???

However the prices were good & I was able to get all the colors I wanted (except bronze, anyone have those?)
We have royal purple & buff dundotte -- which I have actually been able to hatch a few of those from my birds, also ordered violet, brown, chocolate, and slate. Was thinking maybe I should have ordered some coral blues. I am down to 1 male & he is paired with a pearl so I have only had 1 hatch out.

I also put my keets that just hatched this week in the box with these. Very hard to tell the brown & pearls apart.
Not sure if I will be able to tell them apart when I get a chance to hatch my own browns

As of right now I am thinking I might leave all if these keets in a coop together & not let them out until I have hatched a few good batches from them. Would hate to loose them all to the predators prior to getting any babies out of them. Plus I have noticed it us getting harder & harder to find the eggs from my other guineas.

They are camera shy, but here they are
d89b34a2.jpg

349e3b9a.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:

With strombergs I only have 1 gripe. They sent me a letter in the mail as soon as I ordered my keets. Letter said - you will get a call or postcard to inform you of your ship date. Then in the 19th @930pm I get a call saying they shipped my birds a few hours ago. What if I wasn't able to get the birds from the post office on such notice???

However the prices were good & I was able to get all the colors I wanted (except bronze, anyone have those?)
We have royal purple & buff dundotte -- which I have actually been able to hatch a few of those from my birds, also ordered violet, brown, chocolate, and slate. Was thinking maybe I should have ordered some coral blues. I am down to 1 male & he is paired with a pearl so I have only had 1 hatch out.

I also put my keets that just hatched this week in the box with these. Very hard to tell the slate & pearls apart.

As of right now I am thinking I might leave all if these keets in a coop together & not let them out until I have hatched a few good batches from them. Would hate to loose them all to the predators prior to getting any babies out of them. Plus I have noticed it us getting harder & harder to find the eggs from my other guineas.

They are camera shy, but here they are
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/jcatblum/d89b34a2.jpg
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/jcatblum/349e3b9a.jpg

OMG how cute are they.... Wow how many did you hatch to make up that MOB.... LOL.

That whole keeping them in a coop for a time is what I want to do with mine. Thats why I have put chickens on hold for now.... well with the exception of Sumatras. Sumatras are somwhat like guineas in their need for FREEDOM.... and active nature so anything I build that will make guineas happy should make Sumatras happy. There is a fellow on BYC that has Sumatras I want hatching eggs from.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom