Keets seem spooked

Fberritto

Hatching
Dec 7, 2018
I just moved 5 week old guinea keets from my bathroom shower to an outdoor brooder. The brooder is a chain link dog kennel with smaller boxed area with two heating lamps.

The bottom of 1/3 of the kennel has chicken wire to keep them from squeezing out.

The temperature outside is about 38 degrees. They seemed totally fine moving all around making noise and only huddle near the heat lamp at night when they sleep.

Then I noticed one flew up higher and escaped and could not get back inside. I tried in vain to catch hiM but every time I came near he flew up I to a tree.

Well after 24 hours of him hanging close by and evading me he finally fell victim to a predator in the night. (I Found feathers) yesterday morning.

Now all the keets are comeplety silent and hiding in a remote part of the pen all day and night. I noticed some rat activity as well which I am working on fixing. They are not near the lamp.

Anyone know what is going on? Are they frightened from one dying near the pen? Are the rats freaking them out? Are they cold? (The temp has dropped and they are in a pile although not right next to the lamp).

Are the rats able to kill them? I would think they would just steal food.

I just moved 5 week old guinea keets from my bathroom shower to an outdoor brooder. The brooder is a chain link dog kennel with smaller boxed area with two heating lamps.

The bottom of 1/3 of the kennel has chicken wire to keep them from squeezing out.

The temperature outside is about 38 degrees. They seemed totally fine moving all around making noise and only huddle near the heat lamp at night when they sleep.

Then I noticed one flew up higher and escaped and could not get back inside. I tried in vain to catch him but every time I came near he flew up into a tree.

Well after 24 hours of him hanging close by and evading me he finally fell victim to a predator in the night. (I Found feathers) yesterday morning.

Now all the keets are completely silent and hiding in a remote part of the pen all day and night. I noticed some rat activity as well which I am working on fixing. They are not near the lamp.

Anyone know what is going on? Are they frightened from one dying near the pen? Are the rats freaking them out? Are they cold? (The temp has dropped and they are in a pile although not right next to the lamp).

Are the rats able to kill them? I would think they would just steal food.
They are most likely terrified of the predator that got the loose one.

Rats can most certainly kill and eat 5 week old guinea keets.

Your babies are terrified. Not only did they lose their safe warm bathroom but they were put out into a cold unsafe place. Keets are always scared when faced with new situations. But this has been an extreme change, especially losing one of their litter mates. It's good that you have a 'box' inside the chained link area with heat lights. But they need to be put inside the box and closed in every night! There must be a door on it so that you, and they know they are safe. And make sure it is rat proof. It's natural for them to huddle together for safety.
Guineas are pretty much blind at night. So all they know is that it's a terrifying place that they have been put into. :oops:

Be aware that your chain link dog kennel with no top could be breached by racoons and other climbing critters. Also your chicken wire may allow snakes and weasels thru.
You box, is it cardboard ir something more substancial?
Can fox and dogs dig in under the fencing?
Keeping guineas in is easy, keeping everything else out is more difficult.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom