KEFIR - who makes it, drinks it, and/or feeds it to their chickens?

Quote:
Making Kombucha (one gallon)

You will need:
One scoby (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast)
One cup of starter (already made kombucha)
One gallon of boiling water
Seven Black tea teabags
Two cups of sugar

Bring one gallon of water to a boil and then turn it off.
Add two cups of sugar and seven black tea teabags to the very hot water.
Let the hot water with sugar and tea bags sit until the water cools.
Remove the tea bags from the cooled water.

Have the scoby and a cup of starter in the bottom of a very-wide-mouth glass container. The opening of the container should be wider than the depth of the liquid in it. The process needs the surface area for air/breathing.
Pour the cooled water into the glass container with the scoby and one cup of starter.
Cover the glass container with a cloth, not a glass lid; the mixture has to breathe.

After seven days remove the new (baby) scoby from the top of the old one (mother). Last week’s scoby (the mother) can be give to somebody else as a starter or thrown away. Note: If a new scoby (baby) looks underdeveloped, keep old (mother) and new (baby) together for another week before you separate them.
Strain your fresh kombucha into a glass container(s) and refrigerate. Use one cup of the fresh kombucha (starter) and the baby scoby (to be a new mother) to make a new batch for next week.
Walmart has these for about $15
9574_glass_jar.jpg

Last edited:
I have made the kombucha in the past, got my mother on it for her rhuematoid arthritis...cured her! But I could never get used to drinking it...no matter how long or short the time I let it grow, it would always make me want to "hurl" it back up. So I finally gave up. Anyway, does kefir taste like yogurt or buttermilk. I could eat it if it tasted like yogurt, but not if it tastes like buttermilk
sickbyc.gif

Quote:

You will need:
Seven Black tea teabags
Two cups of sugar

Have the scoby and a cup of starter in the bottom of a very-wide-mouth glass container. The opening of the container should be wider than the depth of the liquid in it. The process needs the surface area for air/breathing.
Pour the cooled water into the glass container with the scoby and one cup of starter.
Cover the glass container with a cloth, not a glass lid; the mixture has to breathe.

After seven days remove the new (baby) scoby from the top of the old one (mother). Last week’s scoby (the mother) can be give to somebody else as a starter or thrown away. Note: If a new scoby (baby) looks underdeveloped, keep old (mother) and new (baby) together for another week before you separate them.
Strain your fresh kombucha into a glass container(s) and refrigerate. Use one cup of the fresh kombucha (starter) and the baby scoby (to be a new mother) to make a new batch for next week.
Walmart has these for about $15 https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/9574_glass_jar.jpg

So do you feed the old one (the old mother to the chickens like I have heard some others do) and do you use the same type jar for your keifer! I have seen the jars like that with spicots that you coud just drain the keifer milk off and the add more milk to the grain????

Quote:
The taste is like 25% plain yogurt and 75% buttermilk combined.

Thanks joebryant, I guess kefir is not for me. I think I will check out the recipes, maybe I could find something to make with it and not have to drink it plain.

Quote:
Yes, I cubed and fed about every other one to the chickens. You don't want one with a metal spigot; neither kifer or kombucha should be kept in/touching metal, and kombucha should not be kept in/touching plastic.

Quote:

You will need:
Seven Black tea teabags
Two cups of sugar

Walmart has these for about $15 https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/9574_glass_jar.jpg

I have that container in 2 gallon size.
I leave one quart behind as a starter.. I boil 7 quarts of water with 1 3/4 cup organic sugar and the right amount of tea bags fro regular strength tea. I use a linen towel to cover and keep in the dark

ON

Quote:

You will need:
Seven Black tea teabags
Two cups of sugar

I have that container in 2 gallon size.
I leave one quart behind as a starter.. I boil 7 quarts of water with 1 3/4 cup organic sugar and the right amount of tea bags fro regular strength tea. I use a linen towel to cover and keep in the dark

ON

I'd buy another jar if I wanted to make a double batch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom