KEFIR - who makes it, drinks it, and/or feeds it to their chickens?

Finally was able to make enough to feed the chickens some today. After worming them Friday, on Saturday they got buttermilk, eggs, and canned beef cat food. Today instead of buttermilk, they got a quart of kefir along with the dozen scrambled eggs, three cans of cat food with beef, and two cups of bird seed. The wolfed it down. They get the same thing tomorrow.

Quote:
Don't let them sell you anything other than actual live grains, nothing dry.

Hopefully so I guess we will find out in a few days! They are coming from the website that you listed on one of the previous pages on this forum! I have not found anyone locally that had any so they are being shipped to me!

Ernie

I use Kefir!
smile.png

I grow it in our raw Goat's Milk, and I drink it, feed it to the chickens, sometimes even to the goats, and have even made cheese from it.

Though it can stink and taste sour, it is extremely beneficial.

The only downside is that switching it to a new environment, such as different milk, can make it get pretty sour for a little while as it tries to re-adjust. Oh, and of course, do not wash the grains. I've done this on mistake with warm water and killed them. . . They were still alive and slowly growing, but differently. . . They were growing VERY slowly since then, gave little change to us when we drank it, and so we just had to replace it.

Quote:
Mine has never smelled bad, and I have no idea of why yours does. The longer you keep the milk the sourer it gets, at least that's what I read. I have some that's several days old, it tastes a little more sour but nothing really notable, just a very mild lemon taste.

Last edited:
I love kefir but am trying to give up dairy for awhile. I am hoping that my adult acne will clear up. Do you think I could still drink kefir since it is fermented?

Back
Top Bottom