Kentucky people

All I gotta say is you will love the gentleness and awesome egg laying of the Australorps!
You will enjoy the nice colored eggs from the EE's or Ameraucanas.
You will love the beauty of the BCM roosters and the dark eggs of the hens.
Not sure which Sussex you are thinking of (Light, Speckled, or Coronation). I'm pretty partial to the Light Sussex because I like the contrast of the black/white colors.
I've never owned the other breeds you listed; maybe one day.
big_smile.png
Now my hubby is saying we should consider bantams. Ahhh, I wish he'd make up his mind, lol! I need to order soon so I don't miss out and he keeps changing his mind!
th.gif

Thank you for the info on the breeds!
If I go with the breeder and get the Sussex, they're Coronation. I like the looks of the Lights too...you're right, very pretty contrast of colors.
smile.png

Oh goodness, yeah, the weather. Yuck!
The phone would not stop ringing first thing Friday morning...first my daughter's school called at 5:45 AM to say that school was gonna be 2 hrs. late, then my dad called to tell me school was gonna be 2 hrs. late, then the school called a bit later to say they were cancelling school for the day, then my neighbor called to say school was cancelled. Well, at least everyone made sure I knew what was going on, lol!
lol.png

Welcome KYKelsO!
smile.png

Last edited:
I'm going to add brahma bantams this year,can't decide on buff or dark but I love those little guys
If my hubby wants bantams, I was thinking of bantam Brahmas too. I've heard they lay okay and they're very sweet. I like both the buff and dark, but if I had the chance I'd probably go with the dark 'cause I like the lacing.
smile.png

I do too,I have seen several of these at shows and the eggs are good size. I tried to buy some at several shows last year but most people I talked with just would not price them. I'm not looking at first place birds,I can take the time to breed towards better. Maybe this year,in spring,I can find some. I don't like eggs or chicks through the mail. Never had much luck that way

I started off with bantams and LF egg layers.
I sold most of my bantams.
I still LOVE the bantams, though.
They're so cute and they fit nicely in your hand.
Right now I only have two bantam d'Uccle hens.
I kept them because they're two of my best broody moms.
I used to breed the little Seramas, but it was just too much of a chore trying to get a 'perfect' conformation, but they were a lot of fun (the roosters are REAL LOUD).

Does anyone have bantam size of the large fowl breeds?

I do too,I have seen several of these at shows and the eggs are good size. I tried to buy some at several shows last year but most people I talked with just would not price them. I'm not looking at first place birds,I can take the time to breed towards better. Maybe this year,in spring,I can find some. I don't like eggs or chicks through the mail. Never had much luck that way

Glad to hear that about the egg size. I'm sorry you couldn't get people to price them at the shows for ya. I'm a bit of a drive from your area (about 4 hours I think), but if you're up for a road trip and I hear of anyone in my area with chicks, I can let you know.
I started off with bantams and LF egg layers.
I sold most of my bantams.
I still LOVE the bantams, though.
They're so cute and they fit nicely in your hand.
Right now I only have two bantam d'Uccle hens.
I kept them because they're two of my best broody moms.
I used to breed the little Seramas, but it was just too much of a chore trying to get a 'perfect' conformation, but they were a lot of fun (the roosters are REAL LOUD).

Does anyone have bantam size of the large fowl breeds?

Oh I love d'Uccles! I'm really hoping to get one.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom