Kentucky people

I read on here, i think, that someone in ky breeds Australorps. I have someone in one of my other chicken groops that is looking to get some from a local breeder. Anyone have any info where or who this person is?

I have hawks, coyotes, foxes, racoons and bobcats that I know of. Any other predators I should look out for in western ky?

i was wanting to order from mezer farms but i was wanting to know from you guys here in ky if they was alive when you got you duckling or baby geese

Snakes, the occasional opossum and I've heard weasels but never seen one. Also beware of stray/neighbors dogs...
Ive got a possum in our backyard and a ground hog. So far, the possum has not made any effort to kill anything or eat any eggs. Even the eggs the hens lay outside now and again are left alone

The neighbor's dogs are another problem entirely. I have had 7 hens killed and 4 mangled by a one dog. 1 of the mangled hens needed 22 stitches to sew her back up. She was torn so bad, I could see the egg that was inside her. She has since recuperated and is now laying an egg every other day, something I never thought would happen.
1 more of the mangled lived as well but is now crippled and probably will never lay. The other 2 mangled had to be destroyed. That dog is no longer alive
wink.png

There is a huge controversy in Scott County now about an off duty Lexington Police officer shooting his neighbor's dog for just being on his property but apparently he has had problems with a number of dogs after his chickens.

Last edited:
Our biggest problem has been with raccoons (when we lived in a suburb in Lexington) and a neighbor's dogs. We got our own dogs and the neighbor's dogs stay away.

Opossums are pretty cool creatures, actually. They are marsupials which is pretty neat. http://opossum.org/ I don't think they eat chickens, just the eggs.

Ive got a possum in our backyard and a ground hog. So far, the possum has not made any effort to kill anything or eat any eggs. Even the eggs the hens lay outside now and again are left alone

The neighbor's dogs are another problem entirely. I have had 7 hens killed and 4 mangled by a one dog. 1 of the mangled hens needed 22 stitches to sew her back up. She was torn so bad, I could see the egg that was inside her. She has since recuperated and is now laying an egg every other day, something I never thought would happen.
1 more of the mangled lived as well but is now crippled and probably will never lay. The other 2 mangled had to be destroyed. That dog is no longer alive
wink.png

There is a huge controversy in Scott County now about an off duty Lexington Police officer shooting his neighbor's dog for just being on his property but apparently he has had problems with a number of dogs after his chickens.
That's horrible what happened to your chickens, and of course it was by a dog... BTW Hello from a fellow Scott County resident
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom