Kentucky people

!!!Attn Horse People !!!

I am going to start riding lessons soon and need some advice.

First, a little background on me. I am a 30 yo housewife living in Shelby county. My DH and I have decided to wait until next year to start our family, so this year has been "The Year To Do All Our Fun Stuff Before We Have Kids And Can't".

I want to take lessons for three reasons:
1) horses are sooo cool!
2) I won't have time to learn all the in's and out's once we start a family
3) Therapy. I have ADHD, and like many with the disorder I also have SID (sensory integration disorder)

Symptoms of SID include not having a sense of balance or space. I am constantly running into things, and I get dizzy when I look down a flight of stairs, or up at tall buildings. I cannot stand on one foot without falling over. I cannot close my eyes and touch my nose.

One proven method of correcting these things is to ride. I'm not sure how it works, but the rhythmic movement of the horse has something to do with it. I have also been told that jumping on a trampoline several times a week could do the same thing, but that's not near as much fun.

While I do not possess a lot of horsey knowlege, I do know a great deal about animal behavior in general (I am a dog groomer). So I know enough to realize that I know nothing
wink.png
. I bought a book called, "how to get the most out of your riding lessons", so I kinda know what to expect. I am also going to read up on horse behavior before I start lessions. Anyone got any book suggestions?

What I want to get out of riding:
- I don't want to just learn how not to fall off, I want to ride!
- knowledge of basic horsemanship and behavior
- trail riding
- find my sense of balance

Now my long list of questions:
- How do I find an instructor? I just happen to live in the Saddelbred capitol of the world, and so I am SURROUNDED by horse farms and trainers.
- Should I emphasize therapy or lessons first?
- English or Western? I am not really into dressage or any of that (although it is beautiful), but I understand that many trainers teach English first. Is there a reason for this?
- basic horsemanship skills are VERY important to me. I need to know how to lead a horse, how/what/when to feed a horse, basic body language, proper care of tack and saddle, and even how to properly clean out a stall. How do I find an instructor willing to teach me all this extra stuff too?

I hope to own a horse one day, so I need to learn as much as possible.

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it!!! Anyone who has specific info can feel free to email me or PM me.

Well, I'm basically one of those 'knows how to not fall off the horse' types, unless it is trotting or running, then I'm the 'holds onto the horn of the saddle for dear life' types.
lol.png

Did you post this over in the other pets forum? There are many horse people on this board, and I'm sure you will get the answers you are looking for (and some that you aren't
hmm.png
).

Probably the one opinion that I could give you is to ride western, I've heard it is more comfortable. I've only ever ridden western (or bareback, but that's not an option), so I don't know how english riding is, I'm just relaying what I've heard.

Good luck with your lessons
smile.png

Quote:
Why does it have to stop after you have kids... They don't take ALL the fun away, you just learn a different kind of fun and include them in it. I think the only thing we pretty much stopped is hanging out with friends at the clubs, but we really didn't miss that scene anyway, and in turn we started hosting cookouts at our house n such... So what I'm saying is you just learn to rearrange how you have fun. Oh, and good luck on the waiting thingy... We were going to wait a yr, I was just switch to the mini pill(due to migraines) a few months before we married and lo and behold our daughter was born all of 10 months to the day after we married. Hadn't planned on that... We continued working campshare and timeshare resorts all over the Eastern US til daughter was a yr old then we decided it was time to quit when we started having to haul and extra trailer behind the Uhaul truck just for her room and outside toys.
tongue.png

Being that you are ADHD it is a good possibility your child(ren) will acquire it. So they may enjoy/benefit from, the riding lessons as well. ADD/ADHD runs in both my family and hubbys... I myself am ADD and VERY good at tuning out things and people. My 19yo daughter isn't ADD/ADHD, but my 11yo son is the combination ADHD(one of his Drs most extreme patients)... He doesn't have the SID though, he is actually better with balance issues than daughter... But he does had Dyslexia/Dysgraphia along with it.
Good luck with your riding lessons and have LOTS of fun with them!!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
1. If you know someone in the business, that's where I would start. There are many people advertising horse related businesses, so I would just keep an eye out, especially if you're near any horse farms. That would be a great way to find out as well which leads to no. 4
2. I would focus on the lessons, the therapy would follow that once you get a feel for it.
3. English teaches you much better horsemanship. You have much better control and it teaches you proper posture and hand control. Western isn't nearly as strict, but I just don't think you get the feel of proper handling like English. Saddles are a different matter. I prefer Western just because I'm bigger and there's a little more cushion between you and the horse. You might as well be sitting on a napkin with an English saddle in my opinion. It really comes down to preference though.
4.If you want the basics of horse care, I'd call around to a few stables and offer to give them a hand for free, they can always use the help and you'll learn alot as you go.

Oh, and if you fall off, just get back on as quick as you can, don't let it get the better of you.

Last edited:
Hey Shelley -

I went looking online for those chickens I got tonight - cannot find a "golden bantam" but from the color of their legs and the tail on the roo - I am thinking they are bantam buff plymouth rocks.

I'll get some pics tomorrow (and those pics of Baby Mama, too) and post them here, so folks can guess if I'm right.

They sure are pretty, whatever they are.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Rocks/BRKBRockBant.html

meri

Last edited:
Mojo Chick'n :

Hey Shelley -

I went looking online for those chickens I got tonight - cannot find a "golden bantam" but from the color of their legs and the tail on the roo - I am thinking they are bantam buff plymouth rocks.

I'll get some pics tomorrow (and those pics of Baby Mama, too) and post them here, so folks can guess if I'm right.

They sure are pretty, whatever they are.

meri

I'm calling you right now, but I figured I'd post on here just in case. It wasn't 10 minutes after you left that some guy pulled in with a trailer FULL of calves!!​

Some guy came last night and bought most of the stuff I was taking to Shepherdsville..so I get to take the day off..Yayy!!

Shelleyd..I got hold of a really nice white Silkie Roo yesterday. He might be better than the one I was saving for you.
He needs to be cleaned up some..but he's a dandy boy!!

Also..the lady who wanted the Blue Splash Silkies backed out and bought hatchery babies...go figure..lol!!
So those are available as well.

I have 10 Orp hens coming today..so I will be going through them and selling some only because I prefer a certain "look". They are just at "point of lay"...some are, some aren't yet.

Back
Top Bottom