Kentucky people

Quote:
Oh, dear. We have 26, so i could not imagine bringing them in. That would be chaos (and poopy). hahaha Fortunately we do have a fan in the hen house and they are out free ranging this morning. They may choose to stay in the woods today.

Quote:
Oh, dear. We have 26, so i could not imagine bringing them in. That would be chaos (and poopy). hahaha Fortunately we do have a fan in the hen house and they are out free ranging this morning. They may choose to stay in the woods today.

lau.gif
26 chickens "hanging out" in a kitchen...lol. I can just picture some on the counter, others on the dining table...you could put a little straw in the sink for an impromtu nest box... That would be a Better Homes and Gardens photo op for sure...hehee.

heat index was 116* here as of noon. I had to move all the grown birds out of the barn and we have fans running on the young ones. The SLWs don't do well in the heat and we lose one or two on hot days like this if we don't catch them in time.

My poor birds have pale combs. They're in the shade. Some of them are standing in the water dishes. I don't have a fan to put out there. Do you think I should mist them with water and get their feathers wet? I don't want to steam them. LOL.

I sprayed down my ducks and they aren't even panting now. They're clean and happy, napping in the shade.

Last edited:
lau.gif
Yeah, My husband would freak if he came home to 26 chickens in the kitchen, and nesting boxes in the sink....even if they had diapers on.
ep.gif

Heat index here is 120. Keeping the fan running and fresh cool water running! Or rather, I'm running with fresh cool water because my hose doesn't reach that far.
sad.png

Quote:
smile.png
no I don't think that you should spray them~just give them some shade=box=tarp something & I put out small plastic cat litter pans & glass crock dishes filled w/ water, they like to wade & stand in them and they still have their regular clean water to drink & contrary to what was said about them not drinking the warm water they do~so you don't have to change it every hour~just try to keep it as clean as possible.
cool.png
We are all keeping our fingers crossed for all of them to make it~you might also wet some ground & they will lay on it~not muddy
wink.png

Quote:
Of course this depends on how many birds you have and how docile they are, but yesterday I filled a tub (plastic tub, not bathtub) with cold water, and one by one I gently dunked each bird (except my roo). Only one girl actually seemed to enjoy it. I know I feel cooler when I'm wet, and I know my dogs seem to cool down when they're wet, so I went with that thought. It did stop their panting for a little while...
But if your birds are on the wilder side, the stress it would put them through would not be worth it most likely...

feels like its 200 degrees here.cant catch your breath.everything is open in the coop,every shady place in my yard and their runs is sprayed every 2 hours with cool hose water (working from home today) i have frozen 1/2 gallon milk jugs in their waterers and are replaced with fresh ones when they melt.ive also taken frozen peas out for them to eat and have a plastic container filled with water in the shade for them to drink or stand in if they want.also a fan on constantlyin the coop.i cant think of anything else i can do for them but to cross my fingers and pray.i worry about the broody ones.they are crammed 2 and 3 in the metal nesting boxes together.crazy hens,they have plenty of nesting boxes but they have their favorite.i keep pulling them out but they go right back in...i think the next 2 days we are suppose to get a bit of a break with the heat and humidity.i sure hope so...

Back
Top Bottom