Kentucky people

They tell me these are 'hills' and not mountains, though coming from IN and FL makes me wonder
lol.png

I hane not mailed chicks that small, usually they are at least a month old. Besides, with the cost of shipping and the time it would take them to get to you, you'd be better off picking them up.

Quote:
I don't kow where Henderson is at but I'm in north west tennessee. I have 2 white silkie chicks that are feathering out. They're about a month old. The pic isn't a good one. I used my phone and they just refused to be still. I also have some that are about 2 weeks old.

p0703111925.jpg

By emvickrey at 2011-07-03

Does anyone have a referral for someone in the Elizabethtown/Glendale area that can process approx. 15 roosters for us in a few weeks?

I'd like to do it myself, but I'm somewhat concerned about the anatomy/doing it right.

How much does something like that usually cost?

There is a USDA small, mom and pop slaughthouse in Bowling Green. They charge $3.50 a bird which includes rapid flash freezing. I'll try to find the number for you and pm it to you. I found a person to teach me how to process the birds. Have you thought about learning how and doing it yourself? Mass processed birds have a much higher chance of bacteria. It's not that difficult to process a bird.

Quote:
S & S Enterprises. 9010 Richardsville Rd. Bowling Green, KY 42101. 270-777-0240 great place to deal with did a fantastic job on my guinea' they have a usda inspector on site

Slaughtering your own chickens can be intimidating, but as meat eaters, we are responsible for making that kill as quick and painless as possible. Chicken's muscle spasms after a kill stroke are violent and there is nothing you can do to stop it from being that way. We keep a plastic garbage can, weighted well, and lid which are easily washed and sterilized. The axe is sharp, and we resharpen as we go. A large wood stump, just like in the movies makes the chopping block. After each serious slaughtering, we use a chain saw to take a thin slice off the top of it. That leaves a fresh and germ free surface for the next slaughter. If it gets too low, we block it up. When it no longer can be raised high enough, we cut another block and burn the rest of the first. We wrap tape around the birds wings, make the stroke, and drop it in the can. It will still kick and bounce, but NOT splattering everyone involved in blood, and not bouncing all over the yard.

The second 'traditional' problem is plucking. I don't do it. Since both my husband and myself agreed it made little sense to worry about plucking when we both skin chicken parts before cooking for our health. We just skin after slaughtering, feathers and all, then we drop them in cool to cold water depending upon the air temp. Quick cooling keeps the meat better, and reduces the smell of gutting the birds. We save hearts and gizzards, but livers go to our dogs as does any part left over fit to eat. This does not include the skins and feathers which will be buried in a pit filled with sawdust in out woods to 'mulch' over the winter.

We hatch and grow to time out our slaughtering to be in winter. I have 5 children who have always helped with this. We spent a memorable evening slaughtering about 60 chickens during an unexpected snowfall by the headlights of our truck. They were all between 6 and 14 years old. They know their food has a 'face' and have grown up as responsible meat eaters. My grandchildren, ages 9 to 3, are being guided this same path. They know the lifecycle of thier food from start to finished plate. We also raise pigs, geese, fish, and hunt.

If any of the scary prophecies running around the internet, do occur, my family can feed themselves. That gives me a great feeling of comfort. If it never happens, they still will be good caretakers of their livestock and accept the responsibility attached to raising them all the way to the plate.

Last edited:
Hey everyone.... Had to sell everything....

I have a few things left that I wanted to see if anyone here would be interested in:

I have a couple of goat castrators -- $15
Box of never used about 180 egg cartons from egg cartons.com that are card board with pre-perf'd for 1/2 dozen -- $10
Raising Chickens book -- $5
Barnyard in the Backyard book $5
I have a bent up chicken cage that you could have for the picking
I also have 3 or 4 square bales of hay and a broken bale take all for $5
Goat house that is heavier than anything -- needs a little work if out in the weather -- great for pygmies -- $30

I have a whole list of other items (non-farm) stuff listed on craigslist -- We're moving to VA in a couple of weeks and have to off-load a bunch of stuff....

Call - 502-475-8058
hit.gif

I have some 15 week old pullets for sale. Buff Orpingtons, Light brahmas, and a few SL wyandottes. I also have some 8 week, blue and black , gypsy faced (most of them) sumatra/american game crosses. They range from 2/3 to 25% to 12.5% sumatra blood. The sumatra blood is not show or hatchery stock. I am in Green Co. I possibly could meet someone half way if they wanted enough.

IMG_5630.jpg

IMG_5632.jpg

IMG_5627.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Your hen is beautiful, and she looks happy with her new kids!

I have a hen that wants to sit (again
roll.png
) so when ever you can get a doz eggs together I can come get them.

Back
Top Bottom