Kentucky people

Hey y'all! I'm in Louisville in the far eastern portion of Jefferson County. Just looking to see if there is anyone on here nearby! I'm a chicken newbie and looking for all the support I can get. I love BYC!

Question for you wyandotte breeders. I read on mrs. Turbos site that Gold laced and the black (by-products of blue?) laced red are not the same color. Anyone care to elaborate? I have a bunch of hatchery gold laced pullets, if I was to get a black laced red roo of an exhibition line to upgrade my stock what would the result be in color? Heres a few at 15 weeks
IMG_5624.jpg

Quote:
The blue laced reds have a mahogany color gene while the gold laced wyandottes have a gold gene. It's better to start with exhibition quality hens or you'll be culling for the proper shape (standard) forever. I really don't have an answer to your question on color - I've never bred the two myself even though I've owned both at the same time. Hope this helps and your teenagers look healthy and happy!
Colby in Stamping Ground

SLW would work since I have 6 pullets of those as well. I have a theory. Hatchery chickens seem to be bred for one thing. Egg production to fill their incubators. Beyond that I dont think they care about anything else. Show breeders (for the most part) love their individual breeds and try very hard to produce quality healthy birds. But from a production and food to egg/meat ratio stand point they tend to be lacking. Since hatchery birds and show lines tend to be worlds apart crossing them would create hybrid vigor and increase the overall hardiness of the resulting birds. Creating (in theory) a " heritage line" of birds.

I have silkie and sizzle eggs I'm wanting to sell. My bator is full and I don't plan to fill the other one. I'm going to turn it off after these hatch and take a break. Right now I'm getting 5 or 6 silkie eggs a day and 2 or 3 sizzle eggs. One hen thinks she wants to be broody. She sits in a nest next to the hen that is sitting on eggs and waits for her to get up and she jjumps over to her nest and sits on the eggs till she gets back.
hugs.gif

Anyway I can either ship 8 eggs for $5 plus shipping or I can ship what I gather in a weekend for $15 plus shipping. Those that have gotten eggs from me before have had good hatch rates and nice chicks. I have also. I also put a new blue roo in the bbs pen. I have a blue hen, blue splash hen, 2 black hens and the blue roo on the bbs side. On the white side I have 2 white hens, 2 lav splash hens and a white roo. In the parridge pen there are 2 red parridge hens, 1 dark partridge hen and a dark partridge roo. Only one of the red partridge hens is laying right now and the dark one is sitting on eggs. The sizzle pen has 2 blue hens, 3 white hens, 1 black hen and a calico silkie roo. Only 1 of the white hens is laying and one of he blue hens too. Soon i'll have a grey penciled sizzle hen laying and she's with a grey silkie roo.

The last box I sent out had 3 dozen eggs. I just got a PM letting me know they all made it fine thru the mail. If anybody is interested, PM me and I will get you on the list. If the girls stop laying I'll let you know. I keep in touch. Something happens that slows or stops laying I will let you know. I don't leave people hanging wondering whats going on. Here are the ones laying the eggs. I do plan to move the 2 lav splash over to the bbs pen soon. They will be replaced with 2 white pullets.
The blue cockereal is 7 months old and is breeding the hens. I have eggs in the bator now from the bbs side testing the fertility. I'll know if they're fertile at the end of the week. I just put the eggs in the bator on the 1st.

[
5112011089.jpg

By emvickrey at 2011-06-26
5112011093.jpg

p0626111242.jpg

silkiesandsizzles004.jpg

By emvickrey at 2011-04-10
blackpullet.jpg

By emvickrey at 2011-04-10
silkiesandsizzles006.jpg

By emvickrey at 2011-04-09
This is one of the bbs hens standing with the roo that was in there.
chickens007.jpg

By emvickrey at 2011-03-20
These 2 pics are extras of the girls in the bbs pen
12232010006.jpg

By emvickrey at 2010-12-23
blacksilkie.jpg

By emvickrey at 2010-10-17
These are the sizzles. I'll post individual pics too.
5112011032.jpg

By emvickrey at 2011-05-17
silkiesandsizzles016.jpg

20039517259103459961185.jpg

5112011045.jpg

By emvickrey at 2011-07-03
Curly
5112011087.jpg

By emvickrey at 2011-06-13
Moe
18998117259210662641185.jpg

Elvis - etta
18916517259146661041185.jpg

And M.J. He's in a different pen with Noel I may move Elvis- etta in with them.
p06261118.jpg

And Noel, she's not laying yet but will soon I suspect.
5112011010.jpg

If anybody is interested just PM me. I will trade as long as it's not for more eggs. I may make an exception if I still have broodys depending on what the eggs are. Items I would trade for are rooster decorations for my kitchen, statues, pictures, plates, towels and pot holders, fabric with roosters on it enough to make curtains for 4 windows, placemats, table cloth, coffee cups - any cups or glasses, fridge magnets, toaster cover, seat cushions..etc I think you have the idea. But I will still sell them if nothing to trade.

Last edited:
I am in Henderson, Kentucky. Someone please sell me 2 white silkie chick! I need them to replace my daughter's pets that were just lost. Can someone help me, her birthday is next Friday.

oh wow you are 176 miles away! You are in the mountatins right? Have you ever mailed chicks or would I need to drive to get them. I road trip to your neck of the woods would be beautiful. Maybe my family could detour to Mammoth Cave for a day.

Back
Top Bottom