Kentucky people

Beautiful Utah!
20211026_173631.jpg

Utah is beautiful I have been living in Kentucky since July but spent 13 of the past 15 years living mostly in Utah Valley except the last year and a half in Cache Valley. It is a beautiful wonderful place. That said having grown up in the South between Georgia and Texas there is a very special place in my heart for places like my new home in Kentucky. I love the trees out here. Also it's nice to not be drying out in the desert out there.

Hello! We live in Jeffersonville KY (Northeast central - east and slightly south of Lexington) after retiring here 2 years ago. Yes, we bought the farm. LOVE the mountains we see out our front window every morning, the trees, the wildlife, the farm life and the wonderful community we're in.

A year and half ago we bought 13 baby chicks from Tractor Supply. With the help of a wise young clerk we were lucky enough to select all Hens! She knew how to check the curve of the wings and she was spot on - 13 times!

So today we have 13 mostly healthy, happy, laying hens. (didn't have a brooder, coop or run the day we brought them home, but my miracle working hubby built them all in 5 weeks. )

One of the two Easter Eggers is NOT laying for about 12 weeks now. She molted and never re-started laying. We're hoping she does lay her beautiful blue eggs soon. I'll post a pics of my girls, but have to send it from phone to computer. I call them my "Crazy Town Chicks."

If any local Kentuckians are on here tonight, I wanted to ask you a question about commercial chicken feed. We get a 50# bag of Kalmbach 20% protein flock maker feed from Chewy.com. First bag was about a month old. Last 3 bags (one rec'd yesterday) were over 4 months old. Not acceptable. I've spoken to their customer service about 3 times, they say it ships from the warehouse and they can't control it. The last time they put a note on my file that said don't ship anything older than 2 months, max. Because it hasn't been fresh, we have been mixing it with Rural King's locally made Country Road layer crumbles. The girls like it, but it's only about 15-16% protein, not really enough for laying hens.

Kalmbach is the best mix of protein and nutrients, but I can't get a fresh bag. Rural King Country Road is very fresh, but not as high in protein & nutrients.

We give them a variety of extra stuff daily, including scrambled eggs with cheese twice a week and meal worms (in moderation, high in fat) and more carefully selected goodies. But I need a reliable source of good FRESH feed.

So.....what do you local Kentuckians do for commercial feed?

20211108_084333.jpg

I have some large fowl chicks for sale if anyone is looking! Multiple breeds (French Marans, 55 Flowery Hens, etc.). I have some straight run chicks that are a week to two days old. $5-$10 depending on breed. We're about in between Madisonville & Hopkinsville about 20 minutes from either.
Do you still have chickens available?

Would anyone in or near central Kentucky be able to take in three abandoned domestic ducks? Two Pekins and one Swedish Blue. All three sound like females. One of them has a severe limp. I can catch them and deliver them, and I can also help cover the costs of vet bills for the one with an injured leg, within my ability.
BF03597A-2EB2-485E-8E0A-A18C66EC5E6B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom