Kentucky people

I usually battle poison ivy/oak rashes all summer. And have the occasional sniffle. But someone told me about taking zyrtec. I havent had but maybe a spot of a rash. And really no sniffling. I sound like a commercial. But I am now addicted. Poison ivy seems to be the flower of Eubank. It is growing everywhere. I have to pull it out of my flowerbeds about 2 or 3 times a year.
barnie.gif

Quote:
They had been penned up for several weeks. I let them out a couple at a time so they would hang around. It seemed to work well. They knew where "home" was because they came back to roost on top of the chicken run every night. I dunno what happened other than something scared them away from home and then possibly killed them. I dunno, but whatever happened I don't like it.
sad.png

My neighbor slowly lost all his birds to hawks......I keep worrying but so far mine are OK.

Need some help, got a call from the farm last night , 3 baby Turkeys we are thinking were found dead dying and one fine running around on the dam by the lake. I am going down there this AM to pick up birds to sell today and would like to help surviving chick.They say it has bugs running on it I have DE but I think that is worthless anyone have any ideas on how to get the bugs off the surviving chic. I am assuming they are newly hatched?I am also assuming they are turkeys bown with black stripes is how thy described them.
Yes they are isolated!!!!!!!!!!
Do they have to eat something other than chick starter Med. It is what I have .

Ms. Lewis Rich :

Need some help, got a call from the farm last night , 3 baby Turkeys we are thinking were found dead dying and one fine running around on the dam by the lake. I am going down there this AM to pick up birds to sell today and would like to help surviving chick.They say it has bugs running on it I have DE but I think that is worthless anyone have any ideas on how to get the bugs off the surviving chic. I am assuming they are newly hatched?I am also assuming they are turkeys bown with black stripes is how thy described them.
Yes they are isolated!!!!!!!!!!
Do they have to eat something other than chick starter Med. It is what I have .

Get some Sevin Dust and dust under the wings, and around the vent area. It either fleas or mites, more likely fleas.​

Thanks Chuck
Sevin will be easy to pick up on the way there.I know zero about turkeys especially wild ones . I will have to see if we have a local rescue .
But first I have to go see exactly what we have.

welcome to the new person (tried to post last night, but Jon is home, kept timing out
sad.png
)

So far, Friday's weather says only a 20% chance of rain (and no chance of rain saturday, which usually means none the day before if it's that low of a % )

I'm not sure if we're going or not - I don't have much to sell right now - all I have are baby chicks, baby rouens and two wild roosters. I would like those roosters gone, though.

The baby chicks I'll get more out of if I keep them longer, same with the baby rouens (there were a LOT of ducks there last week, all types - almost got tempted to buy a dozen call ducks - black bibbed young adults - for 5 bucks each). They had runner ducks, pekins, swedish, rouen, and of course 'scoveys. I managed to sell the swedish I took, but I got Crap for them - same with the chickens - hardly anyone wanted to spend money last friday.

I moved the baby chicks to the brooder coop this morning - might end up bringing them back inside, but I'm gonna try it for now. Sure would make walking through the hatching room easier without all those bins lined up on the floor. Besides, the quail eggs are due to hatch this week. I'll need at least one bin (if not two) for them.

Oh, the total of Jr. babies hatched out inside is now up to Two - I had one hatch in the turner yesterday
lau.gif
forgot about it being in there. Both are pure white babies - not sure if they'll stay that way or not. You know how most white chickens hatch out with yellow fluff? these don't they hatch out with white fluff.

Jr is hiding her eggs in the barn again - hasn't gone to sitting yet, but she is definately lurking in there. I need to come up with a fancier name than "game mix" for her babies
lau.gif
they certainly do look odd as adults - I can say I created my own breed
gig.gif
Some of them come out looking conventional (like the birchen ones) but most look different than anything I've ever seen. Plus, they have almost no combs until they turn one year old, then their combs begin to grow. Jr's is just now starting to come in - her mama's comb is getting pretty big but she didn't have one for her first year, either. Also, Jr. and her Mama both have spurs. (her mama crows, too - which drives me nuts).

Attitude-wise, they are pretty wild chickens, too. They only will come up to you if you have food otherwise they scream like you're killing them if ya even come close. (yes, scream - not squawk
lau.gif
).

They'd make good range chickens for someone who wanted a chicken that would be self sufficient and could fly well enough to evade predators.

I sure wish I did know what their genetic make-up was, might be interesting to track down all the characteristics and figure it out.

ETA -- been looking for what she might have in her background... I forgot to mention that she and her chicks have black skin (
lau.gif
not sure why I forgot that little fact, sorry ) Remember Frodo - the white chick that died, she had black skin, and the other babies seem to, also. Jr. looked more like a pigeon shaped bird before she began to get her comb in - and looking at birds that fit that characteristics, all I can come up with is a Bantam Sumatra (not the blacks, although maybe some black in there, since some of her babies come out birchen). Oh and since they have black skin, the babies have black/purple faces (Jr has a red face, not black.)

But then, that ugly rooster (Flava Flav who had the Henny Gene) that I got rid of had a purple face and combs, too. I think perhaps he had sebright in him, though.

If only I'd get a little rooster out of her that would live long enough to adulthood, I could have more of a clue, maybe - although it would be at least half game, because of George, maybe I'd still get some better clue as to what is back there in the genetics.

so... recapping, I have a game mix hen (and her babies) who have black skin, hens have spurs, look like pigeons until they turn a year old and get a comb, bantam, which lays a pinkish tinted egg.

eta again - George has black legs - maybe where the black skin is coming from?

anyone? any guesses?

meri

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom