Kentucky people

Okay, Puppy pics everyone... READY?

Peanut at 9 1/2 weeks old
photo-18.jpg

Peanut getting his cat bath... He kept trying to play and she would grab him around the neck and hold him down... Really made him mad! But he had clean face afterward.
photo-19.jpg

The one on the bottom with the white stripe on his face is my favorite... I call him Shorty cause his legs are so short compared to the length of his body. Plus he is also the smallest/lightest of the litter.
photo-16.jpg

More puppies
photo-25.jpg

Quote:
lau.gif
I forgot that you had it - probably like you forgot that I have your book.

You can just keep it - no charge, heck, I got lots of cages, and obviously I didn't miss it LOL.

I do need to get your book back to you sometime, though. You've been over at least twice and each time I forgot about it.

meri

Well, I now have two Buff Orp Roosters.
hmm.png

AWOL is getting tail feathers - never crowed, never showed signs of being a roo (except being bigger and longer legged than any other orp hen I have) but today he/she mounted one of Bubba's hens - so I took a closer look. Sure enough, I got a spare orp roo.

On the good side - she/he is more true to orp form and coloring than Bubba is, so maybe he'll end up being my breeder rooster. He is wider in the chest than Bubba and not as orange colored - more golden colored.

Hmmm... well, I could use a spare in case anything happened to Bubba, I guess.

stoop!d chicken.

meri

I'll pm you my paypal Cindy, I could use the money
gig.gif

Well everyone got rearranged today. I went out to feed this morning, and 2 of my 'chicks' on the porch were dead
sad.png
I'm sure it's due to them being wet, they are always spilling their water! I should have cleaned it out sooner, but just didn't get around to it. Plus there were too many birds in that box, they didn't have much of a choice but to spill something!

So the bigger birds that were in that box (1 BCM pullet, 1 speckled sussex pullet, 2 welsummer cockerels, a quad of BR, and 5 guineas) are now in a tractor in the backyard. The remaining bantams that were in there (of course my only remaining polish and one of my mottled d'uccles were the 2 that died) went into a cage temporarily while I cleaned the box out, then went back into the box. I also moved the jap girl that was in the house out there, plus the 2 javas. I was going to keep the javas inside, but didn't have any more bedding to clean their box out. I hope that doesn't come back to bite me
fl.gif

Yesterday and today, dad and I were making a hutch for the quail that have been in the house. It's finally done
th.gif
so they got moved out as well. So the only birds still inside are the button quail (don't have much choice with them) and 1 porcelain d'uccles pullet that got wet overnight as well. She didn't die like the other 2, though it's hard to say if she'll pull out of it. She doesn't seem like she's feeling well at all. Hopefully she'll pull through
fl.gif

If it is nice next Friday I will be taking a bunch of guineas to Sano. I have got a splitting headache from those stupid things today! The hutch we made is behind the house, and the pen that a good part of the guineas go in is also behind the house. So they had to let the whole world know that there was something different back there, and protest the noise we were making
he.gif
Crazy birds....

I think that's it for today
smile.png

Mojo Chick'n :

Quote:
lau.gif
I forgot that you had it - probably like you forgot that I have your book.

You can just keep it - no charge, heck, I got lots of cages, and obviously I didn't miss it LOL.

I do need to get your book back to you sometime, though. You've been over at least twice and each time I forgot about it.

meri

Well, since I get to keep the cage(thank you by the way)... You can have the book if you want it. I honestly forgot you had that... Thought I loaned it to someone here actually
gig.gif
Good thing I didn't ask them about it huh
roll.png

It was another warm day here! WOOHOO! I'm always happy when feeding doesn't include ice breaking, thawing etc. I'm getting the itch for spring to get here. Hopefully I can make it another few weeks.

Ideal called today to see if they could send my chick shipment in February instead of March. Sadly we declined b/c of housing issues for them. Basically, I don't want them in the house for months and months...LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like we are moving to Kentucky to work at Blue Grass Army Depot, near Richmond and Berea.

Any ideas on chicken friendly areas? We don't want to live in town and want
to have a few acres with a house in nice condition. I am tired of fixing up
every place we move in to. Might want to raise a few other kinds of livestock too.

I've heard that Madison, Rockcastle, Estill, and Jackson counties might be
places to look. Any thoughts?

Hi,
Just want to welcome you to Ky ahead of time. Bluedog420 lives a little south of Berea and chicknlvnfan lives in Winchester. They might be able to help you out. I know when we were looking for a house(4 yrs ago) there was a lot of open property in and around Mt Vernon. About 15-20 min from Richmond/Berea.

Have a nice day and good luck!!

Cindy

I live on the Powell/Estill line. Anything outside of town with no neighborhood ass. is chicken friendly. For your commute you might want to stay in the W end of Estill or down toward Berea in Madison. If you don't have kids (to worry about school quality) you have more choices. Check out Red Lick Creek in Estill and Madison. Personally I think it is the prettiest place in our state. The Madison end of Red Lick is getting pricey but the Estill part is longer, more affordable and just as easy a commute for the Depot. Clark Co may be in range too, but you will end up with more traffic to go through. From a traffic perspective Rockcastle would also mean every day dealing with I 75.

Back
Top Bottom