Kentucky people

Hi I'm new and and we are trying to start hatching our own babies and this week we had 41 in the incubater and needless to say it didn't go well 5 and two died coming out whats wrong and I need to get some help on a new thermometer whats the best one? any help will be great.
hmm.png

Quote:
Hi and welcome to BYC and Ky forum!!!
Any number of things could have gone wrong with the hatch... It would help if you could give specific info as far as what the temp stayed at, and what did you keep the humidity at, are you positive the eggs were all fertile, were they shipped in, what did you raise the humidity to at lockdown(last 2-3 days), etc...
We'd be glad to help and you could also type in the search how to incubate or something... But you shouldn't have to, there are plenty in the KY forum that incubates their own eggs that could give excellent advice.

Have a great day and luck to you on your next hatch!!! Sending good vibes
fl.gif

Cindy

Quote:
Thanks! I hope I can find a good home for him too. I don't want to give him away to any random person on Craigslist, you know? But he crows non-stop and I'm afraid my neighbors will cause more trouble. (I had a problem last year with someone making anonymous false complaints about my chickens escaping and attacking people, anyone remember that saga?) He also squawks a lot and it starts all my hens making noise along with him.

Andora - I understand, its hard when you have to find em good homes, I feel that way about my baby chickies I hatch out and I know all about the noise... I've got 5 roosters out in my pen right now, maybe 7 have to see about the other 2... but 4 crow, which I love and thank goodness we are in the country to they can crow all they want, lol

I just moved the 19 I hatched (Feb. 27) out to an area by my chicken run/coop, they have out grown the 55 fish tank brooder!

Last edited:
Hey Ya'll had a great hatch last week marans chicks ,blue cuckoo, french cuckoo, a couple of wheatens, and black coppers. looking to rehome
wink.png
. Have a bunch of black coppers in the hatcher due out this fri. / sat. And blue coppers due next week. spring is fun aint it.

And finally it feels like spring.
cool.png

Pop

Our chickies are due next week also, and it is so frustrating cause all I can see in the Marans eggs is the air pocket at the top... So all I can go by is the sniff test on a daily basis to make sure none are rotting. Hoping Union has a great hatch out of the Marans... I do know she has 2 white and a barred Cochin bantams filling their shells.

Good luck Pop57 and congrats on last weeks hatch!

Cindy

Hey everyone.... I have some bantam Cochins that I need to find homes for....
I have two black pullets just starting to lay
one blue pullet same age,
One red frizzle pullet same age,
One white frizzle rooster same age.
Birds are $20 each...

I have a huge trio of black Jersey Giants that I can part with. Both hens are laying...one is two years old, and one just started laying.
Roo is huge but a big sissy!
$75 for the trio.

Email me if interested.....
You can see most of the birds here....

http://home.rr.com/dday911

5 more days to start seeing how many little fluffies Union will be hatching!!! I am sooo excited... Unless they quit sometime between now and Wednesday I know she'll have 3 Cochin bantams but still no idea on the Marans. Waiting, waiting, biting nails, waiting
pop.gif

Quote:
I use the one that Walmart has in the hardware section..about $6. Has temp and humidity on it.

I use that same one! I got 100% hatch last time with that thermometer using my cooler bator.

So that little bantam roo I wanted to get rid of...now my DH says we can build a bantam pen out of an 8 foot long run we have and get him some little girlfriends!!

I think my little roo is afraid of thunderstorms. Earlier he escaped the pen and ran to the back door and kept desperately flying into it and squealing, so I opened the door, and he ran in as quick as he could. Then he flew right up on top of the hutch book shelf (up by the ceiling) and just sat there panting.
lau.gif

The rest of my semi-intelligent chickens all took shelter in the coops or under the coops. But not Cracker Jack, I guess he thinks the house is safer?

Back
Top Bottom