Kentucky people

Quote:
I can't get more than $1 each for them but at least I'm getting something. I won't sell my duck eggs for eating though, people want to pay the same price for them...not gonna happen!

We sell ours for $2 and have many people buy 3-5 doz at a time. I can't see selling them for less either due to feed cost. If it ever gets that I have to I would sell off my extra hens and just keep enough for my family and close friends.

Quote:
I can't get more than $1 each for them but at least I'm getting something. I won't sell my duck eggs for eating though, people want to pay the same price for them...not gonna happen!

We sell ours for $2 and have many people buy 3-5 doz at a time. I can't see selling them for less either due to feed cost. If it ever gets that I have to I would sell off my extra hens and just keep enough for my family and close friends.

I had 32 hens until yesterday when I sold 9 pullets from last fall that I decided to cull out. I was getting WAY too many eggs. I just cant sell my remaining hens...they are my favorites and my best layers, AND the breeds I wanted. HOWEVER I do still have a few extra of each breed that I'm considering letting go. I'm undecided at this point. I have several EE's (I'm selling many when they feather out good) , a few Comets or Red Sex Links - not sure what is what right now, and 6 Marans in the brooder and REALLY want a pair of Cochin pullets, and BLR Wyandotts from the Foleys. Maybe a pair of Welsummers, but I have been reading here that their eggs are NOT as dark as the Marans like I thought so I may scratch them. Then I'm done.
I was going to sell my eggs this year at the local farmers market but the price jumped to either $120 or $180 (correct me Whimsy) and then the weekly booth fee on top of that!!!!! Thats outrageous!!!!!! We grow corn and other veggies I was gonna sell also, but I just cant justify even paying to sell those, no matter that we plant 2 or 3 acres of sweet corn just to sell! Its just not worth it! I wonder...do people advertise on here eggs for sale? I havent checked, guess there would be no reason not too? I'm taking my stored eggs to the soup kitchen this week to donate...then going to regroup and see what I should do. I guess a sign in the yard, maybe even an ad in the local paper would be in order to build up a customer base.

Quote:
Sorry I missed your question. I sold them for $10.00 a piece. And people didnt bat and eye at that price, which tells me I should have asked more. Oh well. Hens sell so good in the spring. But no use crying over spilled milk 'eh? I didnt loose out on much money for that price and I'm not complaining at all. Last fall they only sold for $5.00!!! A rip off! My hens are fat and happy and people know my truck when we pull up and I have them trying to get at me before I can unload. People there have so many bare backed birds and so many are unhealthy there its sad...
So we get pretty lucky usually. Like I said, I wish I was a breeder, letting them grow out makes it worth it when you sell them! I'm lucky I had these extra birds, they wernt from my permanent flock. You would just think farm eggs would sell better considering there was only 1 other person that I saw selling eggs yesterday!!!!

I sell my eggs for $2 a dozen in Lexington. Fairly cheap, but that's ok because I like sharing eggs with people!

Has anyone been to the TSC in Nicholasville? I just got 11 bantams from there and I'm trying to figure out what breeds they are. Four are silkies, two are Golden Sebrights, a couple might be Speckled Sussex. I'm really stumped on this one:
1227301182_nWvCM-M.jpg

I posted them all in a thread over in the Breed/Gender section.

Hello all, does anyone know if there is a chicken swap close to Taylor County. I might have some lavender orpingtons chicks and buff/lavenders chicks for sale in two weeks. thanks

Lovin all this egg talk... I learn alot. I cant wait for my 2 duck hens to start layin!

I have said this too. But I'm doin good sellin eggs... I've got my regular people then I've got people that see my sign & stop in to buy.

wilmothfarms Wrote:
Jen4 wrote:

wilmothfarms: How much did you sell your hens for ?

* I just cant see sellin a dozen eggs for anything cheaper than 2.00. Come on people your gettin nice, fresh, yummy eggs not yucky store bought eggs.

Sorry I missed your question. I sold them for $10.00 a piece. And people didnt bat and eye at that price, which tells me I should have asked more. Oh well. Hens sell so good in the spring. But no use crying over spilled milk 'eh? I didnt loose out on much money for that price and I'm not complaining at all. Last fall they only sold for $5.00!!! A rip off! My hens are fat and happy and people know my truck when we pull up and I have them trying to get at me before I can unload. People there have so many bare backed birds and so many are unhealthy there its sad...
So we get pretty lucky usually. Like I said, I wish I was a breeder, letting them grow out makes it worth it when you sell them! I'm lucky I had these extra birds, they wernt from my permanent flock. You would just think farm eggs would sell better considering there was only 1 other person that I saw selling eggs yesterday!!!!​

Thank You. My hens look great too & I've sold some last year for 5.00 each which I though was low... think I'm might try 10.00. How old are the hens you sell? Sorry for so many questions I just like to be in the know how, lol

Andora; That lil chickie is so cute
smile.png

Quote:

I agree, I personally think $2.00 a dozen is a little cheap...I've seen them advertised for more! I was advertising my duck eggs for $3.00 but seems no one around here wants them at all...the thought of eating duck eggs scares people!
big_smile.png
I have Pekin Ducks and they are SO mild, taste like chicken! (gee I crack myself up!)

Most that sell them around here want $2-$3 a dozen for them too, I just can't see getting that for them when I can sell them as hatching eggs for at least $.50 each. Plus I can sell day-old ducklings for $3 each all year long. Now, if I had someone that would pay $5-$6 for eating duck eggs then I'd be okay with that. Would save me the headache of having to find a buyer for them or hatch them myself
gig.gif

A lot of online buyers are scared to get my duck eggs because my flock free ranges together, but you know, I almost never hatch mixed ducklings? My ducks are breed-ists apparently
lol.png
But that's okay, I can sell a mixed-breed duckling the same as I can for a pure, people that want them around here want them either because 1) they just want ducks, 2) they want to have their own ducks to get eating eggs from, or 3) they want to eat the ducks :gross But that's not my problem, as long as they sell!
lol.png

Quote:

Most of the hens I get my 'eating eggs' from are going to auction this Saturday (see my siggy
smile.png
)

I probably should mention that most of my eating eggs are medium-large sized, I have very few 'big egg' girls. I get an egg almost every day from my cochin, BR, and leghorn hens (1 hen each) but the rest are smaller birds like OEG.

Quote:

I had 32 hens until yesterday when I sold 9 pullets from last fall that I decided to cull out. I was getting WAY too many eggs. I just cant sell my remaining hens...they are my favorites and my best layers, AND the breeds I wanted. HOWEVER I do still have a few extra of each breed that I'm considering letting go. I'm undecided at this point. I have several EE's (I'm selling many when they feather out good) , a few Comets or Red Sex Links - not sure what is what right now, and 6 Marans in the brooder and REALLY want a pair of Cochin pullets, and BLR Wyandotts from the Foleys. Maybe a pair of Welsummers, but I have been reading here that their eggs are NOT as dark as the Marans like I thought so I may scratch them. Then I'm done.
I was going to sell my eggs this year at the local farmers market but the price jumped to either $120 or $180 (correct me Whimsy) and then the weekly booth fee on top of that!!!!! Thats outrageous!!!!!! We grow corn and other veggies I was gonna sell also, but I just cant justify even paying to sell those, no matter that we plant 2 or 3 acres of sweet corn just to sell! Its just not worth it! I wonder...do people advertise on here eggs for sale? I havent checked, guess there would be no reason not too? I'm taking my stored eggs to the soup kitchen this week to donate...then going to regroup and see what I should do. I guess a sign in the yard, maybe even an ad in the local paper would be in order to build up a customer base.

Comets and Red sex-links are pretty much the same, comets are just a mix of a 'lighter' red, like a New Hampshire.
smile.png
Most advertisements of eggs on here are for hatching eggs, being a 'chicken site' I don't see many needing to buy eating eggs
gig.gif
But you can list on bestfarmbuys.com, golsn.com, craigslist.org, and I'm sure there are others. Might even post a sign at the laundromat or feed stores or banks...can't hurt
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom