Khaki Campbell BONDING question.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LovesAGoodYolk, Jul 29, 2016.

1. LovesAGoodYolk

LovesAGoodYolk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2015
    Iroquois Cnty IL
    My first hen and drake are 14 months of age. My other 2 hens and 1 drake are 3 months of age. Will they ever bond as a group of 5? Older drake likes to chase away the younger ones at times, especially at snack time. Thank you.

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Very normal behaviour with Drakes.....The rule is One Drake to two too six hens.....Drakes Fight...

3. LovesAGoodYolk

Sep 4, 2015
    Iroquois Cnty IL
    ok then. I do not want to breed siblings. which of course both pairings are. how do you suggest i manage this? also, my 14 months old drake dulled out this spring. he lost his little black tail curls and his green sheen on his head. Is he going to stay this way?

4. LovesAGoodYolk

Sep 4, 2015
    Iroquois Cnty IL
    another thought. If I get rid of one drake, will the others then bond as a group? Mate?

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Yes, he is retain his colour.
    Best thing is only have the one drake unless you can run two pens and free ranging.

6. sallysinnamon

sallysinnamon Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2010
    south eastern
    I find sometimes when adding another group of ducks to an existing one, even adding a lone duck, they don't always bond with each other. All of my ducks intermingle but have their definite mini flocks, some preferring to be loners.

7. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

The dull coloring will molt out back to his regal male plumage, no worries... it's called eclipse and they go through it each season...

X2

They do tend to have their little cliques...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by