Khaki Campbell drake biting me

lovemyducks2015

Hatching
Jul 27, 2015
I have 2 khaki campbells, 4 pekins and a mallard. Recently my male khaki campbell started biting me whenever I would let them out of there house. It seems everytime I reach in to take the other ducks out, he wants to bite me. He dont bite anyone else but me and I dont understand why. I am very gentle with all my ducks. I give them all the love and attention they need. I just cant understand why out of 7 ducks, one wants to bite.

I had a young Muscovy drake who did that. Every time we came in the pen, he would latch onto our skin and twist, especially if he was hungry. I think he was just aggressive/demanding. We ended up culling him because we couldn't keep all our males, and he wasn't the best male, so he didn't get picked to live.

Now our adult Muscovy has also started biting, but it's not a case of demanding for food. He's probably trying to say “I'm boss and you have no business messing with my ladies.” The technique that has worked best for me is picking him up and carrying him around for several minutes until he gives in and stops struggling. Some other people pin aggressive males down and hold his head down.

You can do a search on BYC for “aggressive drake” to get more ideas how to stop it.

Back
Top Bottom