Khaki Campbell Laying Eggs In Nest, Won’t Sit

houseandhomestead

In the Brooder
Oct 29, 2018
2BEFB780-1899-442A-AF08-196D50F3D55D.jpeg
4672A571-9D03-43C2-ACF9-315AE13629F9.jpeg

We have 2 Khaki Campbell Females (6-7 months), 1 Lavender Muscovy Female (8-9 weeks) and 1 Pekin Drake (7 months).

The two Khaki campbells are laying. They are also mating with the Drake.

There are 6 eggs in the nest they made but they don’t seem interested in sitting on them. I have no idea what to do or where to begin because we recently got the females. Do I just let the eggs sit there and see what happens?

I also have 4 hens and 1 of them keeps sitting on the eggs randomly. Picture attached.

Any tips?

Last edited:
As you wish.
I've been breeding them for years, and it doesn't particularly matter. They will occasionally go broody, usually ALL 15+ or whatever at once, but it's rare. It brings down the egg numbers. Khakis are supposed to be like leghorns. And out of the ones that go broody, I have yet to find a "good" mother among them. Usually all babies left go in the brooder after half of them have been lost, chilled, or eaten.

As you wish.
I've been breeding them for years, and it doesn't particularly matter. They will occasionally go broody, usually ALL 15+ or whatever at once, but it's rare. It brings down the egg numbers. Khakis are supposed to be like leghorns. And out of the ones that go broody, I have yet to find a "good" mother among them. Usually all babies left go in the brooder after half of them have been lost, chilled, or eaten.

I’ve heard the same. Thank you for your reply. :)

Back
Top Bottom