Khaki silkie??

apc

Songster
10 Years
Nov 4, 2009
Chickland, Il
43998_photo0105.jpg

What color would you call this? I hesitate to call it "khaki" but it seems to be the closest thing I can compare it to. I have two of these beautiful hens. They are very similiar to my grey hen, in pattern wise.
I would like to recreate this color but Im not sure what to start with, or who to mate with them to try and continue this color.
Any help in understanding them genetically would be great!!

WOW that is cool, seeing that you are right that pattern wise she does look a lot like your grey ( birchin) silkie hen, you may somehow have a dun silkie( think) shes too dark to be a khaki. Buf is so, if you mate her back to a birchin( grey) roo you would produce more Duns or if she does happen to be a khaki, then you would get all dun birchins. That is if it is the Dun gene, if would breed just like blues if it is. Where blue to blue would produce blues blacks and splashs, dun to dun produces duns blacks and khakis.

apc,
Quick question. Is there Black in the feathering of the birds?

If so then I would say that they weren't Dun.
Dun dilutes Black.

Chris

Quote:
Greys are not birchen; they are silver penciled, aka silver partridge. I have never seen a true birchen silkie; theoretically it could exist. Just have never seen a real one.

Dun is much darker than that; the variety named chocolate is het. dun as well as hom. choc

Quote:
Greys are not birchen; they are silver penciled, aka silver partridge. I have never seen a true birchen silkie; theoretically it could exist. Just have never seen a real one.

Dun is much darker than that; the variety named chocolate is het. dun as well as hom. choc

Ok thanks Its still a cool color either way.

What color do you think she has there then?

Back
Top Bottom