Kids Risk of Parasites

akf93

Songster
Jun 22, 2022
NE Indiana
Hi there! I was reading the deworming post and it made me curious how at-risk are my young children of contracting unwanted bugs (lice, mites, parasites)? They are with the birds quite a bit. They do wash their hands when they come inside or before they eat but sometimes it’s quite some time after play. This topic is my husband’s biggest concern in raising birds. Are they likely to get something at some point? Not likely? Should I be doing something with my birds to decrease the risk? Only 5 month into this fun so I’ve a lot to learn!

I don’t really have a good answer for you and I understand the concern, but aside from salmonella I wouldn’t be too worried. Definitely have them wash their hands asap after handling chickens. I’ve actually considered hanging hand sanitizers near my coops for my grandsons.

I actually had worms when I was about 5. They thought I got them from running barefoot with the chickens. I used to get the rooster to chase me.

As an adult, a rooster chasing a child is more frightening to me than having worms. How did they let me get away with that??

Oh, and my father was mortified because the whole family had to be wormed. Apparently that’s embarrassing. Lol

Poultry lice/mites are host-specific, so you shouldn't have to worry about the kids getting those... the internal parasites I'm not entirely certain on (I know there are some things chickens can pass to humans - salmonella and e.coli), so I would not let the children (or yourself) get their faces/mouths near the birds, and hand washing (even changing clothes) before and after handling the chickens is a must! I believe Gail Damerow's book "The Chicken Health Handbook" goes into detail about what's communicable from chook to human (a Google search could help as well). :)

Good hygiene and biosecurity practices (and cooking/storing eggs properly of course), is likely the best way to prevent illness. Check chickens and poo regularly for signs of illness, don't eat or drink around the chickens, and small children should wash hands (or use hand sanitizer at the very least) directly after spending time with chickens (kids are notorious for putting their fingers in their mouth or nose without even thinking twice).

From the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/pets/farm-animals/backyard-poultry.html

Last edited:
I'd see about putting a bottle of sanitizer out by the chicken area, or somewhere close by, and teach the kids to use it properly (and then ensure they still wash their hands with soap once they come in). That should help nullify the risk of salmonella.

From personal experience mites can be an issue, however they cannot live on human blood, so while they can bite you, they can't survive long term in your house. Still, if you start seeing unexplained insect bites on your family, it's definitely advisable to check the birds for mites.

I'd see about putting a bottle of sanitizer out by the chicken area, or somewhere close by, and teach the kids to use it properly (and then ensure they still wash their hands with soap once they come in). That should help nullify the risk of salmonella.

I reviewed a coop page one time that had a hand sanitizer bottle mounted right next to the door at kid height. I thought it was a great idea for anyone who has kids and chickens both. :)

Poultry lice/mites are host-specific, so you shouldn't have to worry about the kids getting those... the internal parasites I'm not entirely certain on (I know there are some things chickens can pass to humans - salmonella and e.coli), so I would not let the children (or yourself) get their faces/mouths near the birds, and hand washing (even changing clothes) before and after handling the chickens is a must!
Ditto Dat^^^

Most hand sanitizers, and the way they are used, are not really effective at killing 'germs'.
Gives a false sense of security, IMO.

We keep a couple old towels at the back door in a drawer. DS& I like to sit out with the girls, and will drape a towel over us when we do. Helps keep pop off our legs and lap, and avoid accidental claw scratches. We put the towels back when we come in, and immediately wash hands up to elbows.

Back
Top Bottom