Kids sleeping in the front yard be prepared its sad

Quote:
I totally agree! I grew up the same and KNOW others knew some of what was going on, at least enough they should have reported it. This is a serious sensitive subject for me. Thank you OP for DOING SOMETHING. If nothing comes of it AT LEAST you tried. I APPLAUD your efforts, as will those kids. They will realize what was going on later in life. At least now they will know someone cared about them. Often in situations like that it makes the kid feel horrible, helpless and completely unloved. I was suicidal. You may be saving their lives, not just from the abuse, but from it creating self-destrcutive individuals. I hope they do something about the situation, but even if they don't, you may have already made a HUGE difference for those girls!

Depending upon what age you are, there was an era in the 50's-70's that you minded your own business and what went on behind closed doors was NONE of your concern, no matter what. I have always said the old adage, "children should be seen and not heard" was the biggest crock ever was, as molestation and abuse was rampant but who listened to a kid. It broke my heart to see those little girls asleep in that bed in the yard. More than likely, with the black plastic over the windows, its a drug house and that sounds like meth. Covering the windows is the first sign something is not right inside that home, and 99.9% of the time its illegal drugs. I think/know the welfare system is overwhelmed with kids and their family issues with no where to send them when they do get them. We live in a sick society, and I for one believe all this money sent overseas to help the less fortunate over there could/should be brought back to the US and get our families back on track. It won't save all of them, but a lot of them just need a break and they will turn themselves around!

Quote:
The backyards are chainlink fences and it is the third house. I have no idea who the neighbors are but I have driven by the side street and tried to see into the backyard. No luck so far. I will take a walk later, there is an alley I could walk down or drive for that matter.

I am so angry and upset still. I will be making a stink about this situation till the issue is resolved.

I know the feeling of neglect myself and I don't want other children to feel it. I shudder to think of what else could be happening to these little girls.

Last edited:
doesn't sound promising.

Dear Jeanette,

Thank you for your letter. I will search my data system to see if I can come up with a name to match the address you gave and then I will visit with the students to determine if I can be of assistance.

Thank you,

I would say that sounds very promising. Since you didn't have a name to give them they do have to look it up and try and match the address. It's much easier to plug in a name than to go through an entire data base at a school looking for an address.

The school probably is limited in what they can and can't share about the situation, even to the reporting party.

The school can't share anything with you that they find, laws protect privacy and schools can't break them. You won't know anything unless you see it on the news or read it in the paper more than likely.

It's crazy to think about what teachers do and see from their schools.
I hope they can help!

The things we see and have to report and then have to go to court on are mind-boggling. Sometimes it's so hard and we can't just talk to anyone about it. As some know I have to go to Las Vegas NV to be a witness in a trial for a former student of mine that reported abuse to me here in NM but it happened there. It's taken almost 3 years to get justice. Evidence had to first acquired and then proved. When you see kids wearing long sleeves in 90 degree weather, you try and see if their are bruises on their arms. When they flinch when you walk by their desk you try and find out why. When they have horrible body odor you try and find out if they have facilities at home to bathe or if they might be afraid to undress at home to bathe because of abuse.
Then when you've done your best to protect a student, your heart is ripped out because the investigation took too long and it was too late for them and someone knew before you what was going on and could have saved them. We should be one of the last lines of defense for these kids, not the first,, the families, friends, and neighbors that see them every day should be the first line.

Like another poster said earlier, they can say the kids were "camping" out,, and I'm sure they were coached to say so. From the sounds of the original post a concerned report should have been turned a very long time ago but someone in that neighborhood who had suspicions. Too long people wait because they don't want to get involved and then they are left saying "Wow, I thought something was wrong over there!" That is when I just want to scream "Then why didn't you do something???"

Let's hope for the best.​

WriterofWords

Thank you! First for being a teacher! I knew teachers had it very hard, I have aloooot of teachers in my family. Your job is amazing.

Second I am just thankful that there are people out there like you looking out for the kids
smile.png

I would have reported it before but when I checked last year they were not outside. They live more than a block away. I really had nothing to go on but what my neighbor had said she had seen.

I asked my son if he knows anyone down there and he doesn't so I couldn't get info that way either.

The neighbor said the children sleeping outside stopped a good while back before she reported them. She said she wanted evidence before she contacted anyone. She saw them on the porch monday of this week. Tuesday she ran late but had a camera in her purse and Wednesday I told her I took a pic. She told me they had been out there three days again that she knew of.​

Thank you for your kind words. Tell your neighbor to report on suspicions, don't wait for evidence because usually the evidence is the child's body. If a family that is turned in is not guilty generally they don't get that upset but are happy someone would care enough about the safety of their children to report something.

Do you know what's really sad, is those who have the authority to do something don't do anything. Google "Erin Maxwell". Kis like this don't fall through the cracks, they are dropped! Truth is those who do care have no power to help. Been there done that.

Quote:
That poor girl.

I plan to ask my neighbor to send a letter to CPS this afternoon and tell what she has witnessed over the past year.

It worries me now that they are inside the house out of view... It was kindof a relief to see the girl this morning
sad.png
I don't want those kids to get locked up inside either and I know it happens more than people would like to admitt or believe.

Quote:
It is the minority not the majority that things like this happen to. Those in authority most often do the best the can with what they have. What I find is really sad is that some would just decide not to do anything because they don't think anything will happen if they do.. then it's guaranteed nothing will happen to help these kids.

Just when I think I've heard it all, once again i'm proven wrong. This is just the kind of story i like to share with my offspring. Whenever you are convinced that your life stinks take a look at your neighbors somebody ALWAYS has it worse than you.

THANK GOD FOR TEACHERS - second only to motherhood as the toughest and most thankless job on the planet.

Back
Top Bottom