Kiki's Fresh Freaky Friday Fun Fudge Fantastic-ness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay Folks, I need to get serious o a different note for a minute. DD called from her BF's place to tell me that one of his mother's poults was "walking funny" and falling over. She sent me pids of what could have been bumblefoot ... but wasn't. "Mom" took the youngster to the vet, who did a fecal float (some worms, but not an overload) and put her on antibiotics for possible Marek's. Marek's! Apparently they can't test a live bird? So if the antibiotics end and the bird is still "sick," It's Marek's? Something doesn't sound right. This broad doesn't know what she's talking about on a whole lot of fronts, so I have absolutely ZERO trust in her take on this.
So - my questions are:
1. Is there a test for Marek's in a live bird?
2. I know that some birds can live on as carriers, does she need t stay away from his chickens forever?
3. DD's clothes (and DD) went into the wash immediately. How do I disinfect her leather cowboy boots?
1. Yes, IIRC there are two living tests. One is a cheap serologic test that sometimes has false negatives, and will test positive for vaccinated birds. The other is a PCR test that is pretty expensive. Not many people do either and definitely not your average small animal vet. (I will find the lab that I know for sure does it, if you want) The necropsy diagnosis is just a lot more well known and cheaper to do, I guess.
2. If you don't want Marek's in your flock, yes, pretty much. I'm sorry.
3. I'm not sure what you could use that wouldn't damage the leather. Oxine and virkon s are the gold standard. Some people use bleach but I don't know about that.

Good to know you're talking about me behind my back, thanks for that. 🥰 (nice edit!)
We're all just curious to see what the fuss is about, except Mare I guess. Sly dog.
He has his.... "Reputation" to keep up out here. He paints himself as a game bred APBT.

He's actually a romantic Golden that likes his belly rubbed.

Which lab do you use, if you don't mind me asking?
It's one I found through here.

Don't you go telling me I bought their special swabs for nothing.

Screenshot_20200729-121414_BackYard Chickens.jpg

Good to know you're talking about me behind my back, thanks for that. 🥰 (nice edit!)
We're all just curious to see what the fuss is about, except Mare I guess. Sly dog.
No I wasn't talking behind your back. Someone just said I shouldn't push it with you.
I honestly didn't see the issue but did delete part of it.
You don't come off as the type to get bent out of shape easily especially by my nonsense.
So it's just curiosity? Ok I can understand that.

Geez man, you're gonna need to grow scales to survive that one.
I laughed when I saw this earlier.. it takes a special kind of hell to call 100° "fair."
View attachment 2287725
Actually, if my be allowed to explain the use of "fair" in meteorology terms? That word is used (from my training) for describing visibility, which is to specifically mean clarity & cloud percentage.

Ok. I didn't know.
When I was told about these threads I was told they were party threads. So funny that girls were peeing themselves. Just talking sh!t about anything although there was a weekly subject and having a good time.
Honestly as soon as I heard girls peeing I was in. I mean who doesn't want to watch that?

And someone else mentioned "chickens" I haven't seen much talk about chickens but I can talk them all day as well. I do have a thread about mine so I'm usually talking there about them instead of here.
So point me in that direction of your thread.... The more I can learn. The better I can be.

1. Yes, IIRC there are two living tests. One is a cheap serologic test that sometimes has false negatives, and will test positive for vaccinated birds. The other is a PCR test that is pretty expensive. Not many people do either and definitely not your average small animal vet. (I will find the lab that I know for sure does it, if you want) The necropsy diagnosis is just a lot more well known and cheaper to do, I guess.
2. If you don't want Marek's in your flock, yes, pretty much. I'm sorry.
3. I'm not sure what you could use that wouldn't damage the leather. Oxine and virkon s are the gold standard. Some people use bleach but I don't know about that.
Virkon.
And A&M lab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom