killer broody cochin hens?

snaphu

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Langley
I have two cochin hens that are continuously broody, like non-stop! ... I have let them sit on eggs in a safe broody box where there is no interference from the other hens... they have access to food, water and can get up and walk around. Three separate times now, they have eaten the eggs before hatching, and eaten the chicks after hatching!!
7.gif
it's sooo gross!
sad.png

I do have an incubator, but I've heard about how incredibly wonderful cochins are at setting, hatching and taking care of baby chicks! I'd rather have the chicks hatch naturally, but it would be nice if they could survive and not just be a 21 day cooked meal for the cochins
18.gif

is there something I'm doing wrong? any suggestions welcome...

Pop is probably right. Mothering ability like other traits is heritable. I once knew of a beagle called Creole Casket Girl - she ate her pups. So finally the owner hand raised her third litter. All of her daughters also ate their pups. I would recommend getting cochins from another source. I doubt that your husbandry is the problem.

I would cull them. Sounds like they're not great layers, if they're persistently broody, so keeping them for eggs isn't an option. Cull them and try again with some other hens. I'm with you, I'd rather have a broody hatch chicks, but that's just not acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom