Killing a Roo

grandparooster

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 15, 2010
Montague, Michigan
I currently have a 9 week old Rhode island red and he is extremely mean. He has got me good in the face, hands, thighs, and went after me several times when i go to feed him. I have a nice long stick I give him a good whack with when i need to keep him off. I was wondering because I cant stand the break the neck or the slitting or bleeding at all, if i could just clamp down on his neck tight where it stops blood flow to the brain and wont let him breath either, i tied this for about 3 seconds just to see his reaction and he didnt budge or panick at all, he just gave me a realy sad look and he started tearing up, thats why if i do this again, it will be the last time for him. And i cant stand to eat the meat either and no one around me processes chickens or wants to eat a regular, non meat chicken. Advice would be great. i am also sure you guys will say that ax and the block is the best way, but for me it is not an option. I have tried craigslist but no one wants a realy mean rooster.

I haven't used it myself, but it sounds like the broomstick method may be best for you. You'll probably need some help though. Place the chook on the ground and the broomstick over his neck and step lightly on the stick with your feet on either side of his neck. Grab him by the feet and pull sharply upward while now standing firmly on the stick. This will break his neck pretty much instantly, possibly decapitating him too depending on how hard you pull so be prepared for it. Best of luck, I love my sweet roos, but mean ones go the the great stewpot in the sky--or at least to the crockpot on the kitchen counter.

Here's a thread on it, and if you do a search on broomstick method you'll find more threads too.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=251309

ETA:
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
I would check to see if there is a vet around that would do it or possibly a humane organization. May cost a couple dollars but you wouldn't have to do it and possibly have a really unpleasant experience for you and the roo.

Last edited:
I don't blame you at all because I have an equally mean roo myself. However, I really like the way he takes care of his girls and he keeps them happy so I have learned how to live with him and am teaching him manners.
I have a long handled fish net, the kind you would reach over the side of the boat to bring in a large fish. When I go out I carry it with me. If he approches me I know he will attack so I go on the offense and catch him with the net and leave him to struggle. He does not like this and just leaves me alone.

Wanda... Calling a Vet to put down a chicken may be the most expensive chicken dinner ever! Here in Cal. all the Vets charge about $75 (+/- , $65-$95) for a ranch call then about $ 150 (+/- , $130-$200) to put down any animal. Since I raise 25 at a time... calling a Vet would be a ... $75 + $150= $225 X 25 = $5,625.00 bill.
ep.gif
So, NO I will definately not call any Vet. I use a stump and a meat cleaver to "off mit the head" as an invite to a chicken dinner.

I'm glad to say we have vets here that will actually let you walk in the office with a chicken, no need for a farm call. Not sure how much they would charge for euthanizing. I had some beaks trimmed at $10 apiece. That was my cheapest vet visit in years. Usually cost me ~200 for a dog checkup and much more if they have a health issue. There are also other places that will euth an animal cheap. I just moved a while back but where I use to live, Animal Control would put your pet to sleep for $5 (to cover their cost) It did cost me 200 to have my horse put down but I can't imagine even that vet charging that for a chicken.

I have a roo who was pretty nasty to me...I could be on the back porch and if he spotted me he would come charging at me.....no fun!!! I had a 2 x 4 that was split down the middle so that would make it a 1 x 2 ? that was approx 12 inches long that I started to carry with me and one day he wouldnt stop and I hit him with it and he didnt get it just continued to charge at me.....I was afraid to hurt him so I didnt hit him very hard but he wouldnt stop so I let him have it and he has never came at me again one good whap was all it took. worth a shot if you want to keep him

36435_caught.jpg

Once you have caught him, use the pithing method (brain stick) with a sharp thin knife thru the roof of the mouth into the brain while he's imobile hanging. Then he hangs limp while you bleed him, scald him, pluck him, brine him-----then off to freezer camp or BBQ.

Back
Top Bottom