Killing cones - cheap and effective substitute

Quote:
I would love to have that pattern! Does it work well for broilers? The cones we used for DP birds don't work nearly as well for broilers since they are shorter and wider.

Quote:
this does work well, if you're able to hold the bag and the bird.

but, when you're doing 3-4 birds at a time, then step away to scald the previous 3-4 while those drain, it's nice to have the cone so the bird doesn't flop around everywhere, and to keep it from damaging itself. with meat birds their bones are still somewhat soft and break fairly easy, IME.

We did the lasso version with the 12 we processed a couple of weeks ago and two broke their wings flapping and hit the tree we had it hanging from - looking for a better way. We bought a couple of traffic cones and they were WAY to small for the fatties we will process tomorrow. I guess cones come in different sizes but the ones at Home Depot were small.

I have so much respect for you guys! Ive had chickens on and off most of my life but Ive never processed a bird. I really want to learn how to do it. Im just worried Im gonna do something wrong. I think Ill post an add on CL and see if theres anyone around here who'd be willing to teach me and maybe watch me do one to make sure Ive got it right. I firmly believe that if your gonna eat it, you should be able to humanely kill it if it comes to that. I just never really knew how.

My hats off to all of you!
woot.gif

I've just been hanging them up with slip knots by their feet and controlling their head with one hand while I cut the neck. I then switch the cutting hand to controlling the body while still continuing to control the head with the left hand. It's a little awkward but not too bad if you don't mind hugging a chicken. I found that the only time they really flap is when they are nearly dead. Prior to that, they are quite calm, I think the flapping is some kind of reflex type thing that happens right before death.
I've considered sitting and holding them in my lap like the You Tube video called "Respectful Chicken Harvest" with the woman wearing the pink scarf, which was posted on here recently. However, it's so darn hot here and I'd want to wear some sort of long pants which I don't think I could stand right now.
I just processed two huge, 12 week old Cornish X Pullets yesterday on a sweltering hot day, 118 degrees when I finished. Should have processed them weeks ago but didn't have freezer space until I purchased a new freezer last week. Anyway, I tried the pitying method with these two and I'm now a huge believer in this, simply because it really does release the feathers. I was able to dry pluck about 90 % of the feathers, which was much more pleasant and saved me time.

Quote:
what area are you located in?

when we processed the last of ours a month or so ago, a local fella came and learned how to do it himself. maybe you'll have someone in your area.

IMO, the quickest and most humane way to do it, whether you hang them from a tree, stuff them in a cone or toss them in the weeds, is to cut the head off completely, quickly.

we do use road cones, and they are fairly large (one is large enough to do a turkey). the chicken is dead, it's brain is no longer processing or feeling any pain or stimuli of any sort (the second brain perfusion ends=lights out; cut off blood supply, cut off life). however, the nerves will cause it to jump and flop around, thus also splattering nearby items with blood. if you put them in a cone, it will keep them in one place, keep their wings from flapping around or doing damage to the carcass.

we've done it other ways, hanging with twine (the quite often jump off in the racket), tossing in the grass (the blood starts spraying before you can be full rid of them, so you will get splattered), and the cones work reliably and well.

this is all my humble opinion, take it for what it's worth
smile.png

Quote:
Lowe's here has at least 3 different sizes of traffic cones. I cut the narrow ends off my cones, two times, making adjustable sized cones by slipping the cut ends back inside the cones for smaller birds. I cut 2 or 3 inches off the narrow end of the cone then cut another section about 6 inches. That made them just right for the meaties, then added the 6 inch section back inside the cone when processing young roosters.

Back
Top Bottom