Killing, Plucking, Eviscerating, & Cutting Up Your Chicken - Graphic!

Pics
Thank you so much for posting this thread. I got thru my first one today...by myself. It was not as traumatic as I thought it would be. The cone helped with that I think. I bought a traffice cone at TSC and cut enough off the top to make about 4" opening. I turned it upside down and attached it to the railing of the deck. It worked great! Took me about an hour to process and I had a little trouble getting the innards out. I guess I expected them to be loose, but you really have to work the connective tissue loose to get everything out. I also had a bit of trouble with getting the cavity clean after removing the innards, but discovered that the luttle metal thing for removing the tops from strawberries workd great! Here is my finished product. Nt too bad for the first time...
woot.gif

Looks like a good job to me!

Is that skin holding the legs down and together? Mine are frozen with the legs sticking up...not exactly space saving!

Yes! It is....I saw it on a video and since I am keeping mine whole I thought I would give it a try. It worked really well and made it easier to get the into the freezer bag too..

What a difference a couple of weeks makes. I processed my other 2 birds (both hens) yesterday and the finished weights were 4.9 and 5.9 lbs. The other 2 were both cockerels and finished out at only 3.5 lbs each.

we are raising 10 Cornish that are alittle over 7 weeks.. Last week I noticed one was limping and told hubby we may need to process that one early.. Sure enough two days later I found it in the corner unable to walk... Didn't take us very long and the end result was better than I expected.. Processed weight was alittle over 3.5 pounds..

Allowed it to rest in the refrigerator for three days and baked it up last night with spices and BBQ sauce... we were so impressed with not only the color but the flavor of the meat... we are hooked, we had thought we would do a more dual purpose breed for butchering but after last night changed our minds.. Lots of meat on these babies... we have 9 more out there and are considering processing them early as we are going to have company for two weeks (my momma) and didn't want to try and process with her here... Does a week or two make that much difference? Should I just hold off and send her out that day??? Other than the skin there wasn't a lot of fat on this one, but the meat was nice and pearly white (breast meat) and the skin was a shiny whitish/pink... we got these ten for free so thought we would try and see which we liked better (dual purpose or Cornish) Hands down, for eating...Cornish!!

Back
Top Bottom