Killing, Plucking, Eviscerating, & Cutting Up Your Chicken - Graphic!

Pics
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif

very nice work. wish you lived here in Southern Middle Tennessee, our skills are similar and I have a MECHANICAL PLUCKER!!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
We did our first birds this week. The plucking was easy, we rehang the birds from a beam and just pulled down on the feathers and they came off easily. Of course, the reason they came off so easily was because the hot water was just perfect. 155 degrees. Dunked the bird slowly about 10 times. I was amazed at how easy they came off. I think having the bird hanging and pulling down the way the feathers grow also made it easier. Not having to turn a bird on a table probably contributed to the ease . We left a big wheelbarrel under them and dropped the feathers in it. Neat and easy to clean up.

Had chicken soup with one of the rooster, yummy!

Last edited:
Thanks for the post it was a big help. We have a rooster who I have dubbed "Sunday Dinner" He attacked me again today and I told hubby it found a new home or our soup pot this weekend. This will be our first kill. I'm kinda nervous and even though the Roo is mean I still want to do it right I don't want him to suffer.
fl.gif

Quote:
No, we cut a small hole in the corner of an old feed bag, just big enough to let the head through, then hung the legs & bag up with twine. This takes 2 people to do. The person teaching us actually cut the head off,but when I do it again, I will just slit the jugglar vein. That way, the bird is already in a state of semi consciousness from hanging upside down, and slitting the vein, doesn't make it flail about. Cuting tee head off, the bird flails about instead of just hanging still.

We hung the bird over a wheelbarrol, and let it bleed out. Then, after dunking in the water, rehung it over the wheelbarrol to pluck. Having it hang there, and plucking in a downward motion, made the plucking super easy. and all the mess was in teh wheelbarrol...

When I did mine, I noticed a large buildup of pure clear gel coming from the meat. What is this?
If you ever had freshwater aquariums, you will know that fish also get this coating, but only when they are live and stressed. It's called the 'slime coat'.

Nvm, found out it's normal, more common in wild animals though, like deer and turkey.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom