Kind of freaking out....

MamaL

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 5, 2013
Upstate NY
This is my first time every having chicks. I have two birds that keep doing the same thing. They eat fine, drink fine, run around and sleep fine. But they keep opening their beaks and stretching out their necks, one is even scratching at her throat. The other one is not. I searched for what might be wrong and I'm coming up with respiratory infections, parasites, worms, etc. They are both about 3 weeks old. I dont know if their eating the bedding and it's getting stuck in their throat. I tried looking down their throats but cant get a good look. To be honest I'm not even sure how to get a good look down their throats. Any ideas what I should do. Do I treat for worms or should I treat for respiratory issue? They are chirping loud and clear, they also make these small chirping sounds.

I'm trying not to freak out but from what I've read they could die from any of these things within days and I have no idea what to treat or how to treat.
sad.png

Mine did that on occasion when they were really small, but they are all fine, about 4.5-5.5 weeks old. Respiratory usually is open mouth breathing, and you can get stuff to give them for respiratory issues.

This is my first time every having chicks. I have two birds that keep doing the same thing. They eat fine, drink fine, run around and sleep fine. But they keep opening their beaks and stretching out their necks, one is even scratching at her throat. The other one is not. I searched for what might be wrong and I'm coming up with respiratory infections, parasites, worms, etc. They are both about 3 weeks old. I dont know if their eating the bedding and it's getting stuck in their throat. I tried looking down their throats but cant get a good look. To be honest I'm not even sure how to get a good look down their throats. Any ideas what I should do. Do I treat for worms or should I treat for respiratory issue? They are chirping loud and clear, they also make these small chirping sounds.

I'm trying not to freak out but from what I've read they could die from any of these things within days and I have no idea what to treat or how to treat.
sad.png
I understand your concerns. The pp on comment 2 left an insensitive comment, IMO. We get pretty attached to these little chicks and don't want them to suffer.

I am not sure if yours are having real trouble or if what your seeing is a normal part of them trying to digest what they have eaten. Have you tried feeling their crop area. Is it bulging? You may need to give your chicks some grit. They don't have teeth and need grit to help digest/breakdown their food. I bought parakeet gravel/grit at a local pet store and just sprinkled that on top of their feed once a day ... as if I was salting their food. I have heard if their crop seems distended that you can gently massage it to help the food move through. I am sure someone more experienced can chime in to help.

Last edited:
10xmama, thank you for understanding my concern. Because I've never done this before it's hard to know what "normal" behavoir is. You're right we do get attached to these little ladies and I have lost one already ( I think the others smushed her) and I dont want have to have to lose another. I had given them grit before and then read that they dont need it if you give them chick starter, so I took it away. I also read that they might eat more grit then food and that to avoid that you hold off on the grit. I did massage her neck and her crop. It didnt feel like it was bulging anymore then it normal looks, and it didnt feel hard or anything. I will put a small amount of grit in there and see what happens.

pappy1264, if it was respiratory then they would have their beaks open all the time to help breath. is that what you mean? If so, they only seem to do it when they are settling down to rest.

I read that too about eating too much ... so they suggested on the MurrayMcMurray Hatchery site to just sprinkle a little on your feed when you fill it up. That's what I have done up until we moved them into their coop. We put finished their coop and run this past weekend ... and the floor of the run is sand. I am thinking that is gritty enough; I know they eat some of it.

I like the idea of mixing some in with their food. I'll check out that site. I'm not sure I've been there before. Thanks so much for your help/

I have chicks that are 5.5 weeks old and I sprinkle chick grit around the bottom of their brooder. They hunt and scratch and peck for it. I rinse my grit in water to remove some of the dust. Not sure if it's really important, but I figure the less dust, the better.

Are they under the light when the are open mouth breathing? What temp is the hot spot? It would be open mouth breathing, but not just when they are going to rest. But if they are doing it while they are under the light, that could be from being too warm. But the opening their mouth, sort of like they look like they are choking, my guys did that off and on when they were smaller, but were fine. If they are acting fine, eating fine, growing and gaining weight, I would not be overly concern, just keep an eye on them. If they are open mouth breathing while sleeping under light, check temps, maybe move your light up a bit to drop the temp a little. I am new to this too, I got my babies beginning of April and I lost 5 the first 2 days (problem with transport to store), so know how easy it is to get attached to them!

Back
Top Bottom