Kind Pharm beginnings in Idaho.

Kindpharm

Chirping
May 15, 2018
Lost River Valley Idaho
Good day! We are new to our 10 acre plot and probably screwing it all up but loving almost every minute of it! (almost every minute-not a big fan of having to cull a gosling that I just rehabbed back to health because it ran into the other geese and was stomped by a gander, that SUCKED)

We are doing our best with a couple goats, breed unknown, for weed control-we spend a lot on feed for them so they don't eat many weeds. We have a mammoth donkey and a mini donkey and have NO idea what we are doing with either of them... but they seem to like us anyway. We had a pot belly pig but he had to be rehomed do to our lack of knowledge, he went to a new home with other little pigs and I think of him often and pray that I made the right choice as I recognize little pigs don't handle change very well. We also have a lot of geese. The people we got them from had NO idea what kind they were and my search to learn stated they might be Cotton Patch geese... I am not sure but I know they make a ton of noise and make really cute babies! and lastly we have just two laying hens (for now) and 8 young roosters that I am wanting to learn how to butcher and pressure can and then I will bring in a rooster our neighbor is giving away.

We are 'empty nesters' and kinda newlyweds of 8 years... we are in the 'just do it and make mistakes to learn from as you go' stage of this endeavor and I am struggling with, 'am I to old and broke down to start this now'? Arco Idaho is not the 'ideal' place to try and make money growing food nor anything else for that matter so I struggle... but boy is this area BEAUTIFUL! I am originally from Indiana and my hubs is from Oklahoma but our HOME will always be here in the mountains!

Hi and welcome to BYC

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping birds - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

:welcome

I enjoyed your intro! True, not everything is fun & games when it comes to raising animals but it's worth it overall.

Best of luck to you & thanks for joining us!

I think it would be best for you to post on your state thread and ask for advice from the good BYCers there, on managing your animals. Hopefully some might live near you and do some mentoring. Put your state name in the searchbox and the Idaho thread should pop up.

I think it would be best for you to post on your state thread and ask for advice from the good BYCers there, on managing your animals. Hopefully some might live near you and do some mentoring. Put your state name in the searchbox and the Idaho thread should pop up.

I seem to be unable to find the Idaho specific thread but finding a lot of individual Idahoan postings. Would you be able to post a link to what you are referring to specifically please?

Back
Top Bottom