Kittens 3 weeks old....(Update - back with Momma 11/08/07)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Cuban Longtails, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Momma cat won't stay with them, I don't even know if she's feeding them (she still has milk). They were very weak and very cold this morning when I went to check on them (it froze last night, temps in the low 30's). I have the suspicion that she either didn't lay with them last night or she only briefly nursed them during the night and left them again.

I brought them to work with me (they're sleeping contentedly with a heater blowing on them) I tried to feed them earlier (after having stopped at the store for milk replacer & a bottle), but it's difficult since a bottle isn't what they're wanting. Anyone have any tips on how to make feeding them easier?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2007
  2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I'd go home, catch momma cat and hold her down until the babies have nursed their fill. And do that routine regularly. We did with a bad momma we had as kids. Then had her spayed after the babies were weaned. And they weaned early...

3. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Try with a syringe and gently open their mouths and squeeze in a few drops of the replacer milk. The nipples on most of the "Baby Bottles" are to big for a 3 week old kittens. I have been able to fed that size with a syringe. It can get messy and it is difficult to get them to open up for the food but they will catch on!!

Good Luck!

Edited to add: If you have a local Cat Rescue Group in your area sometimes they have momma cat's that they use to foster and nurse kittens. The last batch that we found rolled up in a potatoe chip bag and tossed into the ravine by my Parent's house were raised that way!!!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  4. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    Quote:I would agree with this but I wouldn't catch her over and over (unless she is extremely friendly and doesn't mind being handled) I would just catch her once and stick her in a pet carrier or crate for a few weeks and then I would have her spayed ASAP. She's not meant for mommyhood.

5. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    One of the barns I boarded at had a queen like that. We caught her and locked her up in a large dog crate (big enough for a 150 lb dog) with the kittens until they were old enough to wean. She didn't have any choice but to lie with the kittens.

If you must hand feed, I agree with Wooden Pony - a syringe works best. A large medicine dropper (for giving meds to toddlers) also works great.

6. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I didn't think about locking her in a crate with them. I even have a couple of x-large ones sitting about. I was just concerned about getting them warmed back up.

They are still doing okay, mostly sleeping. I woke them up to get a few drops of food and tried to get a BOM out of them (no go, but they did urinate).

Momma did real good with the first litter she had, I don't know why she wigged out on this one. Trust me, it isn't going to happen again. She's nearly half-wild. She won't growl or hiss at me, she'll come to me (sometimes), and doesn't fight when I pick her up. She's been aloof ever since she was a kitten.

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Once they are weaned, tho not until, momma can be spayed. Usually best to keep kittens with mom till 10 -14 weeks old though not sure it will work in this case!

8. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I agree that if she won't take care of them and you need to hand feed using a syringe. We have kittens that are eating canned kitten food and are only a month old so it shouldn't be long and you can try some soft solids.

With kittens that young in order to get them to do a BM you need to stimulate them with a damp paper towel (or something similar) by gently rubbing their bottoms.

Good luck and let us know how things go!

9. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:I used a warm damp rag. [​IMG]

10. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Great! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by