Kittens 3 weeks old....(Update - back with Momma 11/08/07)

Cuban Longtails

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast Texas
Momma cat won't stay with them, I don't even know if she's feeding them (she still has milk). They were very weak and very cold this morning when I went to check on them (it froze last night, temps in the low 30's). I have the suspicion that she either didn't lay with them last night or she only briefly nursed them during the night and left them again.

I brought them to work with me (they're sleeping contentedly with a heater blowing on them) I tried to feed them earlier (after having stopped at the store for milk replacer & a bottle), but it's difficult since a bottle isn't what they're wanting. Anyone have any tips on how to make feeding them easier?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go home, catch momma cat and hold her down until the babies have nursed their fill. And do that routine regularly. We did with a bad momma we had as kids. Then had her spayed after the babies were weaned. And they weaned early...

Try with a syringe and gently open their mouths and squeeze in a few drops of the replacer milk. The nipples on most of the "Baby Bottles" are to big for a 3 week old kittens. I have been able to fed that size with a syringe. It can get messy and it is difficult to get them to open up for the food but they will catch on!!

Good Luck!

Edited to add: If you have a local Cat Rescue Group in your area sometimes they have momma cat's that they use to foster and nurse kittens. The last batch that we found rolled up in a potatoe chip bag and tossed into the ravine by my Parent's house were raised that way!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
I would agree with this but I wouldn't catch her over and over (unless she is extremely friendly and doesn't mind being handled) I would just catch her once and stick her in a pet carrier or crate for a few weeks and then I would have her spayed ASAP. She's not meant for mommyhood.

One of the barns I boarded at had a queen like that. We caught her and locked her up in a large dog crate (big enough for a 150 lb dog) with the kittens until they were old enough to wean. She didn't have any choice but to lie with the kittens.

If you must hand feed, I agree with Wooden Pony - a syringe works best. A large medicine dropper (for giving meds to toddlers) also works great.

I didn't think about locking her in a crate with them. I even have a couple of x-large ones sitting about. I was just concerned about getting them warmed back up.

They are still doing okay, mostly sleeping. I woke them up to get a few drops of food and tried to get a BOM out of them (no go, but they did urinate).

Momma did real good with the first litter she had, I don't know why she wigged out on this one. Trust me, it isn't going to happen again. She's nearly half-wild. She won't growl or hiss at me, she'll come to me (sometimes), and doesn't fight when I pick her up. She's been aloof ever since she was a kitten.

Once they are weaned, tho not until, momma can be spayed. Usually best to keep kittens with mom till 10 -14 weeks old though not sure it will work in this case!

I agree that if she won't take care of them and you need to hand feed using a syringe. We have kittens that are eating canned kitten food and are only a month old so it shouldn't be long and you can try some soft solids.

With kittens that young in order to get them to do a BM you need to stimulate them with a damp paper towel (or something similar) by gently rubbing their bottoms.

Good luck and let us know how things go!

Quote:
I used a warm damp rag.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom