Ko Shamo Thread!

I would like to purchase some Kos pullets, I just started my small flock this year. My stag could use a few more girls =)
If you have any available please pm me with pictures & prices. I reside in San Diego, CA
Thank you, Helen Crosson

This is my ko shamo stag nd pullet

Just put 3 eggs from my Ko Shamo Pullet in the incubator. She laid 3 eggs and quit. I have been waiting on the 4th but gave up. My Blue Ko Shamo cockerel did not do so well the first real hard temperature drop here so I brought him and the pullet inside for the winter. The other ones are doing fine with the cold. It got down to 22* here and the comb on the blue Ko Shamo cockerel turned purple like it was frost bit and he was not doing so well. He perked right up after I brought him inside. He is a smart little bird. He lets me know if he is low on water or food. He will see me and go and peck on top of the water container or the food hanger to let me know he needs some more. He will jump up on his perch so he can see me eating at the table and he will do a little dance so I will give him some scraps. He acts just like a dog. He is a smart bird. He does NOT like to be petted though. He gets very defencive when you put your arm in his pen. I named him Takeshi, a Japanese name meaning fierce, violent, warrior. The name suits him to a tea. He is a large game fowl at heart in a small package.

mcrooke, is that for sure a blue wheaten? It looks like it could actually be dun instead of blue. Just wondering.

mcrooke, is that for sure a blue wheaten? It looks like it could actually be dun instead of blue. Just wondering.

Could be. He is a dark color. I have him with a regular wheaten hen so will have to wait and see what color blue will be produced from the mating. I have them inside and under lights so hopefully she will start laying some more. Right now I only have the one pure Ko Shamo Pullet. I have 9 more project pullets that are Bantam Asil x Modern Game X Ko Shamo. They have the long legs of the modern games and split wings of the Ko Shamos. Trying to create the long leg and the long neck Ko Shamo. On the opposite side I have one cockerel that has not grown in size at all. He is more on the Chibi line. He is much smaller than the others. I am going to use him to breed to the one pure Ko Shamo pullet after I hatch off some of her eggs, to create a Chibi line of Ko Shamo. I have 3 Ko Shamo Cockerels and 1 Ko Shamo Pullet. I am hoping the pullet starts laying more eggs soon and I will be hatching out some more pure ones.

Okay, going back and comparing color patterns, I have to agree with you. He is a dun color pattern and not a blue. I will go with that color pattern with him from now on.

Okay, I have gone through 2 settings of Ko Shamo eggs in the incubator with zero hatching. The eggs were fertile but seem to only make it around 10 to 12 days developing in the egg and then they stop developing. The other eggs I put in the incubator hatched it is just the Ko Shamo eggs that are not hatching. I have read they can be hard to hatch in a incubator. Can anyone give me any advice on how they hatch theirs in a incubator. I have the new digital Genesis incubator and have always had great hatches in it up till now. I have 2 of them.

I use an incubator to hatch my Ko Shamo and have had extremely good results. I typcially hatch 95-100% of all eggs set. I use a sportsman incubator. I run mine at approximately 55% humidity for the first 18 days and 65-70% humidity for the hatch. Early embryo death like you are seeing can often be the result of birds that are too inbred. Is it possible your birds are too closely related? Other possibilities are improper temperature and/or humidity during incubation or something lacking in the diet of your breeders.

I use an incubator to hatch my Ko Shamo and have had extremely good results. I typcially hatch 95-100% of all eggs set. I use a sportsman incubator. I run mine at approximately 55% humidity for the first 18 days and 65-70% humidity for the hatch. Early embryo death like you are seeing can often be the result of birds that are too inbred. Is it possible your birds are too closely related? Other possibilities are improper temperature and/or humidity during incubation or something lacking in the diet of your breeders.

I just got these birds this year. They came from different breeders. I have other Ko Shamo but only one pure Ko Shamo pullet. She is right at a year old now. I have crossed my other Ko Shamo cockerels with some of my other bantams and put their eggs in with the pure Ko Shamo eggs. The 1/2 Ko Shamo eggs all hatched while none of the pure Ko Shamo eggs did. It was not incubator settings. The other eggs all hatched but not the pure Ko Shamo eggs. They showed signs of development but then they seemed to have stopped for some reason. I have the pair inside right now under lights and feeding her scratch mixed with laying crumbles. She only lays one or two eggs a week right now. I put 3 more eggs in the incubator the other day. They are suppose to hatch January 14th. I will keep a close eye on them.

I just got these birds this year. They came from different breeders. I have other Ko Shamo but only one pure Ko Shamo pullet. She is right at a year old now. I have crossed my other Ko Shamo cockerels with some of my other bantams and put their eggs in with the pure Ko Shamo eggs. The 1/2 Ko Shamo eggs all hatched while none of the pure Ko Shamo eggs did. It was not incubator settings. The other eggs all hatched but not the pure Ko Shamo eggs. They showed signs of development but then they seemed to have stopped for some reason. I have the pair inside right now under lights and feeding her scratch mixed with laying crumbles. She only lays one or two eggs a week right now. I put 3 more eggs in the incubator the other day. They are suppose to hatch January 14th. I will keep a close eye on them.
Try feeding them greens, preferably something dark green and then try it. If it's available to you , grass will work too.

Back
Top Bottom