Kodiakchickens scalped chick - Final post page 6

thank god shes alright!!! OMG that looks so awful
sad.png
im sooo sorry this happened and its a good thing chickens can survive almost anything like that....theyre pretty hardy when it comes to cuts and stuff like that....my test egg Sunny got attacked by the bigger girls and had a cut on his head and he was all better within like 1 week
smile.png
so im wishing you and your chicken good luck
fl.gif

Hi all. It's been a crazy few days with endless computer troubles, so I apolgize for the lack of updates (I know you all have been waiting with baited breath!
smile.png
)

The little chick is doing phenonenal. I went home on Wednesday night and she had her right eye open and obvious vision in both. When I picked her up and let her roost on my finger she went right to work grooming and preening! She's been eating, drinking and pooing very well.

Her scalp is doing pretty well. I don't see a lot of new skin growth, but then I haven't had a lot of time to examine it and I'm not sure what to look for. Should we continue to use the neosporin on her now that the edges have started to dry up and the muscles are kind of crusted over so infection is no longer a risk?

We're going to move her back to the garage this weekend but keep her in her own tote. She's quite the little talker though, so we thought it would be nice if she could at least hear her brothers and sisters. I know if we put them back together she'll get picked on so she won't be reintegrated until her scalp is healed.

Thanks again to everyone who helped with this. I am truly amazed at how quickly she's healed and how happy she is (I know I wouldn't recover that fast if I'd had my scalp peeled off and both eyes pummuled!). It's hard to think that I actually considered culling her. A bit
woot.gif
out to all of you for your support and assistance!

They ARE amazing, aren't they? Glad she's doing better... whew!
How's that coop coming along?
smile.png

I am so glad shes doing well. The growth takes time. My girl did loose her eye. But for the most part her wound healed well. I fought for her, and now she rewards me with jumbo green eggs every day ! I can't believe it. She did get a little spoiled but hey thats ok right ? I will keep passing get well vibes for your chick. Please post updates , and maybe once wound heals some pictures of how well she healed.

Glad to hear that your bird is doing so well. Last spring I gave a BA chick to the 5 year son of a guy who works for me. They already have 4 hens but son had never seen chicks. When the chick was 5 wks old they placed it in with the 4 old hens and she wound up looking exactly like yours. They went the same treatment route that you are on and today you would never know the anything had ever happened to it. Your bird is lucky, a lot of people would have culled her, you should take a bow.
thumbsup.gif
[/img]

Thanks everyone! Does anyone have any advice as to whether I should continue with the Neosporin or not? I thought the neosporin was mainly for infection protection, but the skin around the wound has gotten a little dried out without the neosporin on it. Is that okay?

I have recent photos and will get them loaded soon.

I'd keep up on the neosporin just for a bit longer. I am sooooooooo happy she is well. As I said before, my grand champion was scalped by a hawk ans she has even grown back her feathers!!! she's a looker!

Yep, like Mainchick says, do the neosporin thing a while longer. For a cheaper ointment, stop by co-op or a feed store that has horse supplies and buy some "Corona Ointment" for horses. Anytime you get a skinned chicken, just smear some on the cut after cleaning it. Congrats, you did well!

Yep, you done good.
thumbsup.gif
Just need to keep it from drying out now, so even a plain ointment should work now. Sounds like you're past the stage of easy infection, but you'll still need to keep an eye on her. Can you post update photos, so we can see how she's doing?
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom