Kristen’s Chickens and Farming Ventures

Ok, @Kris5902 You get a naked neck chick fix pic over here in your thread, too! ;)

IMG_4360.jpg

I forget which thread I’ve mostly been posting my owl updates on... but it is sadly no longer a problem for my chickens. It’s a beautiful bird, and I’m awfully sorry it had to come to this, but I can’t sustain that many losses, and have it keep returning so regularly looking for more.

Love it and that bald spot on the fluffballs bottom right and behind it too! I’m starting to have the naked necks grow on me... but then I think of our current weather and brrrrrr!

Don't they look like little bobble head's from the back? :gigI hatched 6 of them, but they don't like to stand still so you can get all of them in the picture.

57 chickens... tonight I am hunting over bait. 7 birds lost totalitarian this owl, Missy and Zeta, this morning Sweetie, Buffy, and the last of Lil’ Peeps Barnvelder line; Eagle Bait, and one of the big White Boys from Chickie Hawk, the nice one who would shelter the flock from the wind with his wings at night. He died with his wing in that position as well:hitMy bird netting was not as properly secured after my Cousin in Law removed several of the hay bales holding it in place.

I love Owls, but this one is no longer welcome. I will have to look for the nerf balls when the snow is gone. Several bird lovers and environmentally minded people have also suggested permanent measures. It’s an aggressive and invasive species, not native to this part of the country. It has had a devastating effect on local threatened species of owls (the spotted owl, Screech owl, great Horned, great grey, and barn owl) and other birds.

We also awoke to frozen pipes, -3c inside the trailer as our propane heater ran out in the night. I’ve swapped our last somewhat filled tank over, and thankfully the propane truck was on island yesterday and we can get all our tanks refilled today. Spent the morning disassembling the meat tractor to rig up a temporary brooder with hardware cloth in the barn and relocating my remaining 15 birds in Barney’s flock into it. All the waterers are frozen solid and I don’t have any to offer with frozen pipes. We need to get over the hill for water and propane today, hopefully it isn’t too badly frozen up, snow is fine but ice is terrifying

Oh No! How rotten for you! :hugs:hugs

I hope that owl doesn't come back, or did you "permanently" deal with it? I wasn't quite clear on that.

Anyway, you are still amazing Kris and I'm still down here in Aus admiring and rooting for you!:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom