Kristen’s Chickens and Farming Ventures

It’s honestly not that bad, we are just total west coast wimps when it comes to cold, s***, and the worst was on top of the below freezing temperatures we had 70-90kmh winds which is horrible, but... The white stuff is melting! A few more days of decent weather and hopefully we are done with winter for the year... I thought I would show everyone the tree that caused so much trouble last night. Andrew for size reference is 5’9” and was “cold” :rolleyes: when I took the picture. Thankfully it wasn’t a really big one. FIL managed to take off more large chunks so the trucks can even fit through now. When it hit the fence line it bounced the gate off the hinges, if it had fallen 10-15 feet to the east it would have destroyed one of our better gates.

Chickens are all happy for the break in the weather; they came outside into their runs again today and were wanting moved to fresh grass/snow/mud. So as soon as the ice is fully melted from their tires they will be on the move again. Honestly most of the snow melted overnight, for which I am extremely grateful. There’s still a few places that don’t get as much sun or where the wind drifted it up too deep, but they too will melt.

View attachment 2004356View attachment 2004357View attachment 2004358View attachment 2004359View attachment 2004360View attachment 2004361

That tree was huge! How did they pull that section out, truck or tractor?

It’s honestly not that bad, we are just total west coast wimps when it comes to cold, s***, and the worst was on top of the below freezing temperatures we had 70-90kmh winds which is horrible
It takes some getting used to tho....so the big swings are annoying.

Andrew for size reference is 5’9”
HolyCrap!! That's a BIG tree!!
Anyone with a portable lumber mill on the island?

Good morning Kris :frow

Good Morning Bob :frow

That tree was huge! How did they pull that section out, truck or tractor?
That night they were rolling them in 5’ sections using a chain and a Suzuki Tracker (small suv type car) just to make a car sized hole, by the time we took the picture the tractor was used to move the bigger sections so the truck can pass through.

It takes some getting used to tho....so the big swings are annoying.

HolyCrap!! That's a BIG tree!!
Anyone with a portable lumber mill on the island?

Yes... us! :p

And really, I hate to break it to you, but it isn’t that big a tree... it is a decent sized one though. I wish everyone could see the really big trees here... There’s a few pitch runs in it, so it’s not really suitable for furniture or flooring, but makes for scary hot firewood. The missing gap is already keeping FIL and the guy I hatched eggs with warm.

That's a good size log. You could cut large sections from it to use as outdoor table and chairs!
That would be possible I was thinking of one day doing something like this:

E2BEE806-C57A-412D-9F99-3E8EC0344F91.png
9F010D34-FF75-4DFC-9D4A-BA7AE48233FB.png
9F010D34-FF75-4DFC-9D4A-BA7AE48233FB.png

There is a guy on island who does some chainsaw carving as well, but prefers to work in maple or Garry oak. The totem poles of our First Nations people were traditionally carved from cedars, which don’t get as large as the firs, but they are quite renowned.

That night they were rolling them in 5’ sections using a chain and a Suzuki Tracker (small suv type car) just to make a car sized hole, by the time we took the picture the tractor was used to move the bigger sections so the truck can pass through.

And really, I hate to break it to you, but it isn’t that big a tree... it is a decent sized one though. I wish everyone could see the really big trees here... There’s a few pitch runs in it, so it’s not really suitable for furniture or flooring, but makes for scary hot firewood. The missing gap is already keeping FIL and the guy I hatched eggs with warm.

That would be possible I was thinking of one day doing something like this:

View attachment 2005196View attachment 2005197View attachment 2005197

There is a guy on island who does some chainsaw carving as well, but prefers to work in maple or Garry oak. The totem poles of our First Nations people were traditionally carved from cedars, which don’t get as large as the firs, but they are quite renowned.

Wow!

That's much nicer than what I was picturing. I'd love to see pics if you do end up doing this🙏

Ah , I thought maybe so.

And really, I hate to break it to you, but it isn’t that big a tree... it is a decent sized one though.
It's close to 3'(1m) in diameter?

There’s a few pitch runs in it, so it’s not really suitable for furniture or flooring, but makes for scary hot firewood.
It's a pine/evergreen?
Can make a mess of/in your wood burner and chimney.

Wow!

That's much nicer than what I was picturing. I'd love to see pics if you do end up doing this🙏

I think it would be a lovely thing if they really wanted to do a camping type thing one day on the farm... the term glamping had been thrown out quite a bit but I don’t think the in-laws really understand the concept... something about wooden platforms with harbor freight type auto tents over them. :he
Good morning Kris :frow

Ah , I thought maybe so.

It's close to 3'(1m) in diameter?

It's a pine/evergreen?
Can make a mess of/in your wood burner and chimney.

True, but they burn very hot and most people here get their chimney done two or three times a year...

Back
Top Bottom