Kristen’s Chickens and Farming Ventures

I can do that, any day there is progress, I promise I will post it, boring or not. Hopefully it’s a daily thing right up until the roof goes on and those floors stop getting wet! :p ;) The miraculous appearance of the wall in just two days could be a one time thing... fingers crossed it isn’t, but you never know, especially when FIL is involved. It should go up super quickly, it’s designed to. Piece 101 meets 102, which meets 103. And everything is labeled clearly.

Considering how long you’ve waited and hoped on this house build, and how invested we are for you Kris, I don’t think we would consider any update “boring” :D:hugs

As I was doing the floors today at my friend’s job site I didn’t get any pictures today, and it’s full dark now, so they will need to wait until tomorrow, but supposedly the North wall was put up today, and next will be the floor for the second story. :fl
:eek: Wow! It’s coming on apace ! :wee:clap

As I was doing the floors today at my friend’s job site I didn’t get any pictures today, and it’s full dark now, so they will need to wait until tomorrow, but supposedly the North wall was put up today, and next will be the floor for the second story. :fl
So excited for you! I think the house is moving along quite well now. I want so much for this to be all you dreamed it would be :) I did wonder if the space under the first floor will be accessible? Might make a good space food "root cellar" type goods or maybe even a space for you hatching operation.

So excited for you! I think the house is moving along quite well now. I want so much for this to be all you dreamed it would be :) I did wonder if the space under the first floor will be accessible? Might make a good space food "root cellar" type goods or maybe even a space for you hatching operation.

Thanks. This was a point of great contention. I wanted a slab on grade foundation, yes it makes th plumbing a little more challenging, but less pest/rodent issues. Speaking of pests, FIL was dreaming of, and insisting on, a huge crawlspace for storage... he wanted ponywalls and 5-6’ high throughout. Because the house needs to be taller??? Yeah, and that already happened with BIL in our City house, so DH and I are completely against it! It starts out as “just one tote” and when you go to sell the house the thing is chock-a-block full of junk. A 20x20x4’ space can hold a lot of c***.

The crawl space is going to be virtually inaccessible, about 4’ at the tallest point and 18” at the lowest, so the plumbing will be accessible in the event of an emergency, and there’s a place for our water treatment system, but it’s not quite tall enough to encourage storage. A Root cellar will be under the deck off the dining room, eventually. Once the inspector is gone there’s going to be many small adjustments. Oh and Lots and lots of backfill later. I also have three extra bedrooms for chickens, storage, crafts, and guests (or if we have kids one day) on the top floor, and a full room for our library (we are book hoarders) on the main floor.

Thanks. This was a point of great contention. I wanted a slab on grade foundation, yes it makes th plumbing a little more challenging, but less pest/rodent issues. Speaking of pests, FIL was dreaming of, and insisting on, a huge crawlspace for storage... he wanted ponywalls and 5-6’ high throughout. Because the house needs to be taller??? Yeah, and that already happened with BIL in our City house, so DH and I are completely against it! It starts out as “just one tote” and when you go to sell the house the thing is chock-a-block full of junk. A 20x20x4’ space can hold a lot of c***.

The crawl space is going to be virtually inaccessible, about 4’ at the tallest point and 18” at the lowest, so the plumbing will be accessible in the event of an emergency, and there’s a place for our water treatment system, but it’s not quite tall enough to encourage storage. A Root cellar will be under the deck off the dining room, eventually. Once the inspector is gone there’s going to be many small adjustments. Oh and Lots and lots of backfill later. I also have three extra bedrooms for chickens, storage, crafts, and guests (or if we have kids one day) on the top floor, and a full room for our library (we are book hoarders) on the main floor.

You don't want that crawl space too tall, or your FIL will want to start storing his stuff in there too. Will he have a key?

So, the North wall didn’t quite get finished yesterday, as getting th final panel up was “confusing” but here we are:
99EB1095-3DE0-4CAE-BEEA-171B69E8E98A.jpeg
40E81EC2-6DDE-446B-9735-88CC814D622B.jpeg
6F64ADA6-2634-421E-A6E2-58FFA1520FE3.jpeg

The front door is huge, I wish that was in the Kitchen, where we will actually be coming in the most. But, you try explaining Farm lifestyle to a house designer one day. It’s like the weird extra door on the east because I made the mistake of saying “in-law suite” once, and it stuck in their heads. Secondary suites must have a private door to the outside and all :rolleyes: because the one in the kitchen is just so far away...

The missing wall section needs put in from the outside, and it has a window in it similar to the three in my mother’s bedroom.

You don't want that crawl space too tall, or your FIL will want to start storing his stuff in there too. Will he have a key?

No! And you can be darn sure that it will be locked. As will any attic access. No, no, and more no... we already made that mistake once, and have no intentions on repeating it!

Back
Top Bottom