Kristen’s Chickens and Farming Ventures

And I’m not getting notifications on my own thread... what a neglectful poster I am. Things have been a bit crazy here on the funny farm, so I have been hiding over at FluffyButt Acres, not really hiding, but barely keeping up. No big house updates and our building permit is now expired (thanks Covid)... trailer park chicken coop is a great success.
230EC390-EDD9-495E-818B-41FC7324E166.jpeg
B4E3F939-55EF-4933-9D4C-A41DE2D130F3.jpeg
A78F3E61-C290-44EE-AFA6-C85365F6CA8F.jpeg

And it’s a huge hit with the cows here too...
9B88347B-5DB2-46CB-85B9-BDCD071F729F.jpeg
EF0FCBCE-1F4F-4A14-ABF8-B22E84357FD1.jpeg

I’m not sure how Gus figures out getting his shoulders into the trailer... but he did. The sweet smell of chicken feed is a powerful motivator apparently. Also, after a little while some of the girls decided they would prefer to roost a little more creatively, on the natural enemy of their kind... the stove!
4A620088-F58A-4E22-939E-919587E3EF4A.jpeg

I'm confused??? Did you move into your house @Kris5902?
Still not there yet, and our house “update” is pretty boring. But, our trailer isn’t quite as vintage as the one now housing the 40 free ranging birds. I did steal the toilet out of this trailer though. They knew how to build them to last back in the day (considering the chicken trailer is older than I am by a couple decades!). It was a rough few days without a toilet up here though, and I went through multiple attempts to replace the broken one in our trailer before finally succeeding at jury rigging the Really old one in (not standard household plumbing, by any stretch of the imagination!). I also replaced the water pump in our trailer (1997) With one I ordered off amazon, so we have running water again (more or less).

As to the house build... Our building permit has expired because the inspectors aren’t going out unless “necessary” (Covid) and without an inspection every so often they take your permit away. BIL still hasn’t glued up the perimeter drain. The floor is in for the second story, but then BIL broke the tractor, so we haven’t been able to lift the wall panels up to the second floor yet.. I have a bunch of really big tarps for when the panels finally do get up there. I hand nailed up the hangers, about 40 of them. Exciting!
677114B8-5556-4FF6-BA33-4AEBFEB12A72.jpeg
8DF9AE1A-88E4-482A-8DC9-2B03A53E49FB.jpeg

with the turn in the weather and the building crew unwilling to travel due to Covid, it’s looking like progress will be quite slow, at least until spring. Now I just need to get everything protected from the worst of the winter weather.

Still not there yet, and our house “update” is pretty boring. But, our trailer isn’t quite as vintage as the one now housing the 40 free ranging birds. I did steal the toilet out of this trailer though. They knew how to build them to last back in the day (considering the chicken trailer is older than I am by a couple decades!). It was a rough few days without a toilet up here though, and I went through multiple attempts to replace the broken one in our trailer before finally succeeding at jury rigging the Really old one in (not standard household plumbing, by any stretch of the imagination!). I also replaced the water pump in our trailer (1997) With one I ordered off amazon, so we have running water again (more or less).

As to the house build... Our building permit has expired because the inspectors aren’t going out unless “necessary” (Covid) and without an inspection every so often they take your permit away. BIL still hasn’t glued up the perimeter drain. The floor is in for the second story, but then BIL broke the tractor, so we haven’t been able to lift the wall panels up to the second floor yet.. I have a bunch of really big tarps for when the panels finally do get up there. I hand nailed up the hangers, about 40 of them. Exciting!
View attachment 2438366View attachment 2438368
with the turn in the weather and the building crew unwilling to travel due to Covid, it’s looking like progress will be quite slow, at least until spring. Now I just need to get everything protected from the worst of the winter weather.
I sure do wish you had gotten further. I don't see how the building inspectors were going to catch Covid from your house. Do they even know how the virus works?

@Kris5902 I hope that the cow doesn't break that door where you won't be able to get it closed when the weather get's bad up there. It might allow the predator's to be able to get in there then.
It’s a miracle the floor held out... he did break the threshold of the door and I need to fill it back up with a 2x4, mostly to keep rodents out of the floor, which could then open the way for mink. He had to turn sideways and go in one shoulder at a time. Somehow. We should have asked him for advice on getting a replacement sofa into our trailer before we settled on chairs, it only we had known! We moved the cows out of my yard that afternoon, as they also trapped me in the barn while I was pulling out some hay to lure them away from the chicken trailer. Bad timing and hay stacked a little too high... I was stuck in the barn for over an hour.
DE211AD2-A78E-420D-8B82-F5D1ED19393E.jpeg

They ate my ladder hay for getting down

I sure do wish you had gotten further. I don't see how the building inspectors were going to catch Covid from your house. Do they even know how the virus works?
Probably not... basically unless there was something “significant to inspect” they were protecting the inspectors by not sending them out to job sites. People here are quite afraid. There was a Facebook forum post that almost incited a mob mentality uprising against some workers the vineyard brought in for pruning and a construction project. Small community mindsets and a lot of negative media inciting blind fear and a lack of basic understanding of the science behind it.

Back
Top Bottom