krstms and Potter Watch...and anyone else due to hatch around the 23rd

That's so cool you can hear them peeping!
ya.gif
You're definitely ahead of me.
tongue.gif

Mine are still wobbling occasionally, and I hear an intermittent tapping sound. (thought I was hearing things at first) These last few days are DRAGGING.

It appears I have my temp/humidity stable now. I found a thermometer with a sensor on a wire, so I stuck it through one of the vent holes and got 100.6-101.1 at the top of the eggs. The rack is measuring 98.5 with my other 2. Who would have thought there's that much of a difference in a couple inches?

Well I've got one pipping. It's on the wrong end though. I'm really worried. Is there any way I can help to pull it through or is this a death sentence? The egg is small-pullets egg- so I'm thinking maybe he couldnt turn around. Can still see movement from him and hear them peeping in there. I just want to stare at the bator constantly. I wish he would come out of there so I'd know he's o.k.

no it's my brown b.o. and w.p.r. cross. Not sure if it's full blooded b.o. or a cross. I now have 2 more pipping. The blue one went straight from pipping to zipping without a break. He's about half way around his egg now. At least these two are on the right end. I think the green one I was worried about is probably dead. No movement or sound coming from him but I will leave it alone. The first one cracked the shell but couldnt get through the tough white stuff-theyre pullet eggs-so I helped him get a small air hole. You can see him in there and his beak poking around at the hole and he's breathing & peeping but he hasnt started to zip. Does anyone know if I should help him since he's on the wrong end and all? I'm worried about him. He pipped yesterday at about 7-8 pm and hasnt did anything else yet.

The EE hatched (blue egg). He's rolling around in there and tweeting like crazy.
celebrate.gif
He's so cute. I went ahead and helped the brown one zip without bothering the membranes and then put a warm wet washcloth aroung the exposed membrane to soften it like the post on here said. He's pushing and tweeting hopefully it'll be out soon. The cool thing is my two kids and I got to see the EE hatch. He did it while we were watching. They are so excited. Here's a picture of him.
wee.gif

41709_animal_pics_040.jpg

41709_animal_pics_041.jpg
41709_animal_pics_042.jpg

41709_animal_pics_043.jpg

I'll post more when he fuzzes up.
woot.gif

BTW: I poked a air hole in the big end of the green one to be sure nothing was alive in there and I was right. It was dead. It had gotten big enough to have beak and feathers but then just died. At least I got one EE to hatch. Maybe my next batch will do better.
hit.gif

Last edited:
Congrats on the little EE!!!
fl.gif
for a girl. Sorry about the one that died. I always wonder why stuff like that happens.

As for mine........... the waiting continues. Nothing yet, except wobbly eggs and an occasional tapping sound.

I am hoping it's a girl but even if it's a roo I'm gonna keep this one. They say the green/blue egg gene is dominant so I figure I'll mate him to my hens and get a green egg layer if I have to. I am bound to end up with more boys than I want if any of the new 20 I ordered hatch though. Maybe I'll get lucky and hatch all girls.
gig.gif
except for maybe one roo for breeding purposes. Good luck on yours. It is neater than I thought to watch them hatch. YOu see their beak working around the egg and all of a sudden they just push out and there they are.
ep.gif
I'm so glad the kids got to see it. My son is home from school because they closed for the swine flu. It worked out great. (I really wish no one had to be sick though, praying for any kids that are)
fl.gif
for you!!

Back
Top Bottom