Kudzu! If you know what it is please look here

Oh God, if the OP wants kudzu, someone send her some for crying out loud,... :p
It isnt your problem if it over-runs her yard,and strangles her in her sleep..... :lol:

I kid you not but on Dr.Oz yesterday he said 100mg of kudzu root a day will help you get rid of your big butt. Sorry that its off topic but I had to say something!
ya.gif

Have you looked at what High Country Gardens has? They have a wide variety of plants/flowers that don't require a lot of water. They are in NM so they should be able to help you. www.highcountrygardens.com

ETA: I've used them before since we are often in drought situations in TX with lots of extreme temps - their plants are great!

Last edited:
Kudzu is a great little vine which has a habit of growing where it is not invited. You want some happy chickens? Set them loose in a stand of kudzu. Kudzu is also great for cattle, goats and horses. However, the plant does not tolerate heavy grazing-so it is controllable in that situation. The vine, although destructive to agricultural balers and cutters, is great for making rope or weaving of baskets. The leaves make a great salad-ain't no worse than raw spinach. Kudzu tea is not bad either. And the tiny purple flowers look great in a vase.

So, this invasive vine can provide for folks who wish to make friends with it. Otherwise, the leafy green plant will be your worse enemy. The fast growing vine will cover the house, choke the dog, and entrap the in-laws.

If you do decide to take on this plant, it does have certain needs that must be met. Although the vine can grow on clay and other poor soils, it does like moisture on a regular basis. However, one the plant is establish, it can go dormant in drought conditions, and spring back to life when rain arrives. This plant does not tolerate cold and will shrivel at the first hard freeze. Nevertheless, once warm weather returns, green leaves will sprout again. This plant flourishes in hot, humid areas with lots of blazing sunlight.

Kudzu is a misunderstood plant. The tough plant has much to offer, and I often wonder what the Native Americans would have thought of it several hundred years ago. Instead of hating it I bet they would have taken advantage of all the plant has to give.

Thank you for the advice :) I will look into all those suggestions.
It seems that even the plant from hell can not make it here
barnie.gif

Yes, that's part of the reason I wanted it. So many good uses and no spines lol.

I would move in a second if I could afford it, trust me.

Ok I've been thinking about it and I would still REALLY like some. All it's different uses would be awesome to have. So could someone PLEASE send me some so I can put it in a big pot indoors? Please please please! Right now I grow sweet potato vines inside for the prettyness, but this stuff is edible!

Back
Top Bottom