La Fleche rare or not?

Emzyyy

Runs with Deer
11 Years
Jul 14, 2008
Derby Kansas
I just started BackYard Chickens and my friends seem to think of it as funny when I looked at breeds and reconized my old chicken Ying as a La Fleche and started screaming that "I had found it!" It says the La Fleche breed is rare, but I just got it from Atwoods. Is this breed actually rare? But Im 15 and can't build a chicken coop myself and my dad doesn't want me using his tools, and won't help me himself. He doesn't like my chickens. So when winter came it was much too cold and my dad wouldn't let him in the garage because the fact the year before my Pullets pecked a perfect hole in his $100 model airplane, they seem to like the taste of wood more than their feed. So my Ying who I bought hay and kept him in a Dog Kennal outside w/ a couple of pullets died. The pullets we're fine though. I felt bad I should of gave him to someone else who could give him a much better home. Have any ideas on getting my dad help me build a chicken coop? So next time this kind of thing won't happen, and maybe I can get some to sit on their eggs.

15 sounds plenty old enough to use power tools, just make sure you have a good grip. There are dozens of sites that have plans for coops, but it's not brain surgery, you could make something up. Don't be shy about checking a book out of the library. Most structures are built similarly. A book on out buildings could be of help.

If you have a job, there are some very reasonably priced tools at Home Depot. Ryobi makes a range of tools that are very inexpensive and well suited for home use. If you don't have a job, you may be able to find something on Freecycle.org. Freecycle is also a good place to get scrap wood, etc.

I don't want to start any trouble in your house, so you may want to inform your parents of your intentions.

Emzyyy, where are you from?

Im sorry to hear all of that. I have black standard LaFleche, if you dont live too far away and/or had a place to keep some birds, I would gladly give ya some eggs or birds.

You'll just have to beg and pled with your dad and hope for the best, or get mom, grandpa/ma, aunt, uncle or cousin to help ya.

Good luck to ya..................

Hello!
I would suggest asking your dad to “help” you build a coop and run (the “help” part being a kind of code that he will pretty much build it all - a dad should be conditioned for this by now) but be persistant in asking what you can do. After all, if he disliked your chickens as much as you let on - you would not have them! Men can be somewhat reasonable (I think so, but I could have been born biased) and if you don’t think that he is then convince your mom give it a try (but be careful this is kind of like the "Nuclear Option" and is to be used only as a last resort.)

Pretty much - respect the rules (even if they don’t seem to make sense) and ASK (meaning that the answer could possibly be no) for help while saying (and meaning) that this hobby is important to you and that you are going to stick with it.

Best of luck to you! Show this forum to your dad and he may start to develop an interest as well.

As an aside, "professionals" maim themselves with power tools all the time and it is certainly reasonable for a responsible parent to ban their child (male or female) from the use of any power tool without their consent and supervision. Hand tools can also be very dangerous (they are sharp) without proper knowledge and that is becoming scarce.

If you have a Ag class or FFA at school ask them for help or advice.Also if you can take a shop class you might be able to get help building one.

Back
Top Bottom