lame chicken- no obvious injury- not Marek's or other neurological problem- not bumblefoot

I also have a lame chick. Checked bottom of foot with nothing showing. I suspect maybe that disease starts with M with drooping wing. I will go out this a.m and study that more closely. She is eating and socializing just fine with always being in the middle of the sun bather group Culling is not one of my strengths, but apparently I should put on my grown up pants if I am to have chickens. I will bring out some watermelon so if there will be a last meal, it will be a good one. I notice that sometimes that she has her foot bent backwards as she is trying to walk. Apparently she doesn't have good control of keeping it flat to the ground. Any wisdom for me? Thxs
So sorry... I would also suspect the "M" disease.

-Kathy

Sorry for you, too... FWIW, according to an avian pathologist at UC Davis, Marek's is one of the most common causes of death that they see in chickens.

-Kathy

I came up to our cool paradise in Oregon from the San Jose area, so know Gilroy well. When it gets too hot drive up to visit our flock. Yes, sounds like that Marek got our babies. My dern dog dumped the trash and as I was painfully cleaning it up, I found some magots which I gingerly picked up with tweezers. The chicks went crazy for them! Should I now search the trash for the pkg where my husband threw his old bait for treats for the chicks? Not that I have enough to do. LOL Taking the dogs up river for a good run this morning hoping that the bear bell keeps the bears at bay. I hate running into them but love that they live here. The blackberries are getting ripe; which is their main diet around here. Hmmm, my chicks would love some of those too.

I have a 6 week old chick that's been lame for 2 weeks. Her toe is pointing up. I am completely stunned. She was w/ her 5 "sisters". I separated them thinking they were trampling her. I taped two toes together (thinking it's broken). I did notice that even tho they were taped, both toes (even the good one) pointed up. The next day her toe on the other foot is doing the same thing. Now I'm thinking neurological. So she sits & "bobs"(her name is Bobbette). After 1 1/2 wks , I removed then tape....no improvement. I don't know what to do....I'm really concerned about her roosting.

I don't have experience with chicks; but this really doesn't sound like Mareks. Can she walk?

Maybe try her with some vitamins (with no iron), it may be a vitamin deficiency, and maybe some Hypercium

I have a 6 week old chick that's been lame for 2 weeks. Her toe is pointing up. I am completely stunned. She was w/ her 5 "sisters". I separated them thinking they were trampling her. I taped two toes together (thinking it's broken). I did notice that even tho they were taped, both toes (even the good one) pointed up. The next day her toe on the other foot is doing the same thing. Now I'm thinking neurological. So she sits & "bobs"(her name is Bobbette). After 1 1/2 wks , I removed then tape....no improvement. I don't know what to do....I'm really concerned about her roosting.
Welcome to BYC. Yes I would try vitamins--either a poultry vitamin in the water for all to drink or dose her daily with PolyVisol without iron 3 drops daily. Avian encephalomyelitis might also be a cause. Could you post a picture of her toes and feet? Here are a couple of links for you: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/9/avian-encephalomyelitis-epidemic-tremors

Last edited:
Can you describe how she sits, and how she walks. If she sits on her hocks or elbows, or curls her toes, these can be signs of vitaamin deficiency or some of the diseases listed above. Pictures would be useful.

Can you describe how she sits, and how she walks. If she sits on her hocks or elbows, or curls her toes, these can be signs of vitaamin deficiency or some of the diseases listed above. Pictures would be useful.

She gets around decently, alot of teeter-tottering. She does alot of sitting tho. No, she doesn't curl her toes

She had been on vitamins for almost a week, now she walks on the outer part of her feet. Seems to be getting worse.

Back
Top Bottom