Lame chicken

thefarrells

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 9, 2014
When I went to check on chickens I noticed one of my 3 month old black australorp was pecked in the back of her head and had trouble walking. I have kept her seperated for two days now and she still seems to have trouble walking. Some times she walks fine then other times she can't seem to lift the leg. She eats, drinks, and poops normal. Other than the lameness she looks fine. When she can get her foot up and flat, she walks fine, except that she seems to lift that leg up higher when she steps forward. Other times she can't lift it to walk right and will just sit down. Did the pecking on her head cause some kind of damage to that side of her body? Did she injure that leg trying to get away? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Anything is possible with birds, but it sounds like she may have sprained the leg. I would keep her separated, or with one calm similar aged bird and monitor the leg. Hopefully it will resolve in a few days, but if she is eating and drinking, and the lameness doesn't get worse, she should be able to get around alright, even with a busted leg.

Back
Top Bottom