Land lords dog killed 9 of my flock :(

Ugh - this is horrible! So sorry!

Most everyone has helpful advice, but the truth is sometimes the only thing you can do is make your area into a safe sanctuary. We've been through a similar situation with an irresponsible dog owner.... talking, then pleading, then police, then animal control. The final word was that until the "next time" there isn't much that can be done. I'm guessing that as a tenant you won't even get this far without making your life completely miserable.

Shooting the dog would have been the best option for us - but irresponsible dog owners tend to get more dogs. The right kind of person (wrong kind?) will also retaliate if they're held responsible for anything, as we've found. So.... sometimes you have to do what you have to do, regardless of how "unfair". Move if you can or accept that "it is what it is" and keep your animals out of this person's way.

Too bad life isn't more fair.

At this point I don't think the chickens are the main concern even though it is very wrong. I'm really concerned for her safety. It's no longer an issue of a dog. If she does not get authorities involved and he continues to escalate she could be harmed. I think she needs to try to protect herself and the police can advise her the best way to do this.

Of course, DRGLENNON, if she feels that she is in physical danger then she absolutely should involve the police and leave. I thought she was saying that it was a great piece of property and she didn't really want to move, so I didn't think she was afraid for her own safety. That's where I was coming from. I was also trying to share some advice from my experience to others that might read this later on, too.
smile.png

Of course, DRGLENNON, if she feels that she is in physical danger then she absolutely should involve the police and leave. I thought she was saying that it was a great piece of property and she didn't really want to move, so I didn't think she was afraid for her own safety. That's where I was coming from. I was also trying to share some advice from my experience to others that might read this later on, too.
smile.png

It's just the second attack being deliberate and the taunting remarks is alarming behavior. There has to be more to it than the animal issue, not sure what. Don't know that it matters. He is trying to intimidate and instill fear. Implied threat. I live in Fl. and the laws here leave a lot of room for self protection. It's very different than most states. I hope she finds out from law enforcement there what she should do.

It's just the second attack being deliberate and the taunting remarks is alarming behavior. There has to be more to it than the animal issue, not sure what. Don't know that it matters. He is trying to intimidate and instill fear. Implied threat. I live in Fl. and the laws here leave a lot of room for self protection. It's very different than most states. I hope she finds out from law enforcement there what she should do.
Agreed - and that she can get out of there ASAP. It's quite concerning that she even has reason to suspect that he intentionally let his dog kill the last chickens, then seemed to taunt her by asking how things are.

OP, if you are concerned about your safety, PLEASE go to the police, get someone to stay with you if possible, or better yet - get out if you can.

Thank you all for your concern, really it's amazing how some people out there really do care. I found another house to move into, sadly a very small yard but I can't even imagine if the jerk killed my cats. It says in the lease that I can have animals, doesn't say which kind. I made a report but they can't do anything, I do live alone but I don't think he'll do anything to me, I move nov 1st, I'm so sad about leaving this wonderful countryside just I cannot do this, hopefully my new landlord wont be so hurtful.

Rosie

Thank you all for your concern, really it's amazing how some people out there really do care. I found another house to move into, sadly a very small yard but I can't even imagine if the jerk killed my cats. It says in the lease that I can have animals, doesn't say which kind. I made a report but they can't do anything, I do live alone but I don't think he'll do anything to me, I move nov 1st, I'm so sad about leaving this wonderful countryside just I cannot do this, hopefully my new landlord wont be so hurtful.

Rosie
Rosie, I only wish I lived closed enough to at least come help you move. Please be very careful and let us know when you get settled. You may be able to have chickens, though only a few, at your new place. We all wish you the best and you are in our prayers.

first off talk to your land lord if he says its not his dog put a cam and shoot the dog when it comes back it will come back

There has to be more to it than the animal issue, not sure what. Don't know that it matters. He is trying to intimidate and instill fear. Implied threat. I live in Fl. and the laws here leave a lot of room for self protection. It's very different than most states. I hope she finds out from law enforcement there what she should do.
There doesn't need to be more than that. Obnoxious neighbors escalate things, and they see a lack of confrontational response as a sign of weakness - it's typical bully behavior.

When I lived in an apartment with a postage stamp lawn, I had a neighbor who escalated to threatening me with physical harm, and destroying property over my lawn care. And it all started out with me letting my lawn grow a little long - because I was under the impression that my landlord was handling it. When I found out that the landlord wasn't, I ordered a lawnmower (had lived in apartments - didn't have one). When the neighbor asked about the lawn again, my response was a polite "I've ordered a lawnmower, I'll take care of it as soon as it gets here".

He must have thought I was blowing him off, and every interaction after that involved him screaming.

You can't reason with crazy.

Rosie

So glad you found somewhere else so quickly, but sad for you that you have to leave a place you love. Hoping things go well for you and in time you'll find another great place to have chickens.

Back
Top Bottom