landlord rant---pullet mentioned

QuinnP

Songster
9 Years
Mar 26, 2010
Oregon
I recieved a disabled pullet Cookie from a lady in Kentucky. I told the manager's son that she would be coming & she had a problem with her little feet. The landlord is an absentee turd who lives in California & doesn't like to maintain the building.
Anyway, Cookie arrived safe & happy, & 2 days later the manager told me Ii cant keep her & have 5 days to find her a home. the awesome lady in Kentucky &I agree that it is too soon to ship her back to her home farm, it would stress her out too bad. She makes little noise & is niot messy.. The local ordinence says that hens are allowed within the city limits & the manager did not appreciate me telling her that, her lips got really thin & I think her nostrils might have been smoking. She has 7 dogs in her one bedroom flat & I don't know why one pullet who doesn't walk well is a problem. They gripe about fixing the building which is 60 years old, the water pressure is terrible & the hot water heater is broken

You should have gotten permission from the landlord before you had a chicken shipped to you.
NOw the bird will have to be shipped again...i hope it lives..
sad.png

I have to agree, permission should have been gotten.

Have you paid a pet fee for your place? If so, she may fall under those rules. Look over the ordinances for your city and "pet" definitions.

IF that doesn't work...

Get on Craigslist and see if you can "rent" a spot in a nearby place for her. You may be able to keep her nice and safe and happy in a neighboring house?

Was this to be an indoor chicken?

It is one thing to keep chickens indoors in your own home that you own and maintain, but another thing to keep indoors in some one else's property that they maintain, if it is not done to your standards.

Legal in the county or not, a landlord has every right to say "no" to anything that goes on on the property.
Even if they allow pets, they have every reason to say 'no chickens in the house". Poultry is classified as livestock, legally. It would be the same as putting a goat in the living room and saying "but I'm allowed to have a dog..."

Sorry you are having problems with this.

IF the son is acting manager in his mother's stead because she is an absentee landlord then the landlord was duly informed PRIOR to the pullet's arrival.

Secondly, to buy you some time if you want to stick it out there...remind Miss Not Doing HER Due Diligence as a landlord is about to become a major issue. See if you can back her off to give you time to get the little pullet back to her farm in Kentucky or find her a good home locally.

Landlord's also have obligations, read your lease, read the codes for your area and use what you have to stall her and give the pullet time to recover if the landlord will not listen to reason.

Quote:
NOT everywhere. Some jurisdictions classify them as a stand alone animal "poultry" "bird" or "chickens" Do not assume because it is a chicken it is livestock.

Back
Top Bottom