Langshan Thread!!!

Pics
I'll give it a go with more pictures, but my legs are not what they used to be, and my langshans are not the most co'operative models, so it may take a few days. I find they are very similar, and there is a guy in England that keeps Modern Langshans, Croad Langshans, and he also has two strains of American ones, and he says the American and the Croads can be crossed, just be a bit picky with type when you do it. I find, because they are such an ancient breed, they breed so true to type, and the only thing difference is really that the American ones has slightly shorter legs as a standard, but that is very easy to breed in/out? I mean, you get chicks with too long legs sometimes, same as we get some with a bit too short legs? The "Modern Langshan" was created over 100 years ago, they used game-birds to breed in, and they have clean shanks. They are nearly extinct now, but a handfull of serious breeders has them, so there is hope and progress. Cocci, you say? The Croad seems to be restistant against that, never heard of anybody loosing Croad-chicks to Cocci. That is one of the things I love about breeding Croads, I hardly ever loose any chicks, and the breed so true to type that 99.9% can be used for breeding. Years ago, I bred French Marans, and I hated having to cull so hard, and they were prone to so many diseases. The boyo on this picure will be my Sunday dinner. Both his comb and wattles are a bit too large, otherwise he is fairly good. He is 13 months old.

Love seeing pictures of the White Langshans. I will try a get some pictures of my White Langshan chicks this weekend.

I was as dumbfounded as you were about the Cocci. I haven't lost any since the treatment and they are starting to look more thrifty. I have no idea why? I keep everything crystal clean in there. Must have been something I just didn't see. Maybe the cocci is becoming resistant to the Apromlium levels in the feed? No idea.

I'm debating on giving up on my whites. Maybe just for the time being as I have such limited space to work with. Then again, I hate giving up on anything. The hens are too old to be placed anywhere, so they'll probably just be layers. I don't feel like having to do another half white/half black bird and breed back to the white females again.

I had no luck at all with Marans. They were mean, flighty and not personable at all. I much prefer the Langshans. I have never had a Langshan have a picking problem. I found out that the Silkies were the ones that had picked the legs clean of feathers on my Langshans. They've since been separated...

Thank you for your photos! Maybe once my white chicks grow past the "sudden death" stage, I'll see them in a different light.
I'll give it a go with more pictures, but my legs are not what they used to be, and my langshans are not the most co'operative models, so it may take a few days. I find they are very similar, and there is a guy in England that keeps Modern Langshans, Croad Langshans, and he also has two strains of American ones, and he says the American and the Croads can be crossed, just be a bit picky with type when you do it. I find, because they are such an ancient breed, they breed so true to type, and the only thing difference is really that the American ones has slightly shorter legs as a standard, but that is very easy to breed in/out? I mean, you get chicks with too long legs sometimes, same as we get some with a bit too short legs? The "Modern Langshan" was created over 100 years ago, they used game-birds to breed in, and they have clean shanks. They are nearly extinct now, but a handfull of serious breeders has them, so there is hope and progress. Cocci, you say? The Croad seems to be restistant against that, never heard of anybody loosing Croad-chicks to Cocci. That is one of the things I love about breeding Croads, I hardly ever loose any chicks, and the breed so true to type that 99.9% can be used for breeding. Years ago, I bred French Marans, and I hated having to cull so hard, and they were prone to so many diseases. The boyo on this picure will be my Sunday dinner. Both his comb and wattles are a bit too large, otherwise he is fairly good. He is 13 months old.

Decided to upload some updated photos. Here are two of my girls that were shown recently:

The darker blue has excellent type and I LOVE her tail spread, but Lord forbid she not freak out at the slightest glimpse of a person walking by her cage...

I love the tail carriage of the lighter girl, but her tail spread is a bit tight. Hoping she'll throw some good chicks with Clyde:

Oh my. I looked at your guy and gasped. I only have 2 little Langshan chicks but plan on adding more (had a horrible hatch - darn shipping) and I couldn't help but think that he is so majestic. Thank you for sharing

Yes, Majestic they are, The Chinese called the white ones "Yop", and thought they were godly. They do have an unbelievable aura around them, and I am so fond of the way they ealk up to you just to talk. And talk they do. I have just finished my breeding-season, I bred from 8 hens and 3 cockerells this year, and I have successfully exported eggs all over Europe this year. I will use a smaller number of hens next year. I am breeding systematiccally, two things I am striving for now, Small combs and wattles on the cocks, and more eggs. Many of my hens lay 200 a year, and I do let them go broody, but I am trying to encourage that in the spring, after the main breeding-season is over. I breed potential showbirds up until end of February, as most shows over here are November/December and early winter. Then I breed breeding-stock in April/May, and them I let the broodies raise, I love the sight of BIG white Croad Langshans on grass.

Hi, I am in the market to start my First flock
jumpy.gif
.( Not to say I have no experience with chickens.)
My mom has some a flock of 10 hens & 1 Black Langshen rooster; because of the beauty & docility of hers, I have decided to have Langshens as being a part of my flock
smile.png

& up until this year I thought they came in only 1 color Black.
I'm vary Pleased to see that this Isn't true & that there are actually 3 colors wight, black & blue
celebrate.gif

I have been able to fined the black & wight quite easily, & now the question is where to fined the blues?
hmm.png

I have only seen 1 post so far with a recommendation for a blue Langshen seller. "Purely Poultry.com"
Are there any others out there how sell blue Langshens that you all would recommend?

Sincerely from Ozark Mo,
Broody Hen 2012!
frow.gif

Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
and welcome to the Langshan Thread!

Are you looking for eggs, chicks or grown birds? Largefowl or bantams?

There used to be several down your ways. Do you ever go to the Tulsa State Fair in OK? It's usually the end of September, beginning of October. You can usually find several Langshans there, albeit mostly in blacks.

Let me look around and see what I can find. If you are after eggs, there may be a few more options out there from other people who have eggs available.

Joe Oakley and myself have blues, but I can't ship anything but eggs. He may be able to do more for you?

Ideal Poultry is located down your ways. An Atwoods should have them if Ideal is selling them.

Last edited:
Hi, I am in the market to start my First flock
jumpy.gif
.( Not to say I have no experience with chickens.)
My mom has some a flock of 10 hens & 1 Black Langshen rooster; because of the beauty & docility of hers, I have decided to have Langshens as being a part of my flock
smile.png

& up until this year I thought they came in only 1 color Black.
I'm vary Pleased to see that this Isn't true & that there are actually 3 colors wight, black & blue
celebrate.gif

I have been able to fined the black & wight quite easily, & now the question is where to fined the blues?
hmm.png

I have only seen 1 post so far with a recommendation for a blue Langshen seller. "Purely Poultry.com"
Are there any others out there how sell blue Langshens that you all would recommend?

Sincerely from Ozark Mo,
Broody Hen 2012!
frow.gif
I breed Blue Langshans. You can see pictures of my Blue Langshans on my Ebay auction right now or go to my website (www.skylinepoultry.com) Langshans are truley an under rated breed.

Back
Top Bottom