Langshan Thread!!!

Lol, that guy on my arm was "Bugly". He had Bumblefoot, survived and thrived, and was fertile after treatment, so he had a good go at spreading his genes, and one of his sons will go in one of my breeding-pens this year. You see, I breed my (Croad) Langshans a bit special, I breed them for utility, not shows. I breed from hens that lay near enough 200 eggs in their 1.st year, and cockerells from those hens. It does not mean I dont select for type, and I would not breed from an animal witch is not right, the Standard is being used. But it is surprising what proportion of the best layers that also are the best lookers, and the best, biggest boyos breeds best. I have virtually 100% fertillity, because i only give each boyo 2-3-4 wives, and I always keep one boyo more than pens, so I can rotate them if they seem to lose interrest in any of the hens.

Rodreguez,

hows the agressive bantam? I dont have that problem with my bantam males but them I do select my birds for temperament as well as type. I sell mine to beginers and backyard keepers and their USP over more fancy feathered types is theire intelegent and gentle nature.

I hope he tasted better than he behaved!

Some 50-60 years ago they ran out of Croad Langshans in Australia, which led to them using a few Australorps in the breeding, and while it helped fertility, the Langshans never really recovered, you cannot breed the good old type back again. It ruined the Langshans, yes, but it also rescued them from getting totally extinct. No need to say, they had to re-write the Standard.

Some 50-60 years ago they ran out of Croad Langshans in Australia, which led to them using a few Australorps in the breeding, and while it helped fertility, the Langshans never really recovered, you cannot breed the good old type back again. It ruined the Langshans, yes, but it also rescued them from getting totally extinct. No need to say, they had to re-write the Standard.
Ahhh...that's interesting! I have a Black Australorp who looks a lot like Penny minus the feathered legs.

thorleif,
That picture is HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol!!!!!!!!!!!! I would wear that shirt proudly! That is hilarious!

msladyhawke, that second pullet, she is looking darn fine! Her comb is a bit big, but she's got a great back and underside. The legs are a bit short, but since she was from a black x white breeding, it's to be expected. Still a darn good looking bird! And of course...your little guy is gorgeous as ever!

cluckcluckluke, you can definitely see the Australorp coming into play on those. Very interesting to see the differences! Are the German Langshans in your area as well? One day I WILL get my hands on some of those birds or eggs!

As for aggression, my whites couldn't care less. They are so calm, but that's probably because I constantly have them in my hands. They have so much more progress to make than the blacks and blues in conformation. Making some good strides. The female blacks aren't mean at all, until they have babies. The only black male I had was psychotic so I butchered him. The blue male isn't aggressive but won't come up for treats. The male hasn't attacked me again since the beat down. The black cockerel I have is still acting like a gentleman. I will probably have to cull him as he has some pretty severe red leakage. It's not awful, but I don't want it to continue.

Here's some of my langshans

These two pullets are only 6 months old I'll try to get pics of my bantams today. How can you not fall in love with these Majestic Black Langshans

Wil

Here's some of my langshans

These two pullets are only 6 months old I'll try to get pics of my bantams today. How can you not fall in love with these Majestic Black Langshans

Wil
welcome-byc.gif
Thank you for posting pics! Your birds are beautiful!!! I know what you mean about falling in love with the Black Langshans. I did not set out intending to breed them but I love the black pullets and cockerels that I have!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom