Langshan Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rodriguezpoultry, Jan 11, 2010.

1. thorleif

thorleif Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    South Wales, UK.
    They (the banties) do actually taste nice but the texture of the meat is somehow different to the LF. No, Mikaela, it is a cigarette-card from 1931. About what you said earlier, American/Croad. I (choose to) believe that all Langshans (apart from banties and the breed called German Langshan, and of course the Australian) are originally from the same stock, not diluted, the only difference is breeding-selection. If you (or anybody) can get your heads around how to get hatching-eggs from UK, I will be happy to act as a go-between for sourcing both white and black, banties and LF. Can you imagine what an outcross that will be?????????????

2. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    So, are you breeding white bantam Langshans now? [​IMG] Please post some pics when they hatch. (I miss having babies running around here.) I have 3 LF white juvies. The one boy from you and a pair from Meek's line. I am not wanting to breed all white birds at this point but they are beautiful and I may try to find a home for them rather than eat them. I think that your boy and the Meek's girl would be a good start for someone who wants to breed them.

3. PetRock

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    eBay has some prints of black and white Langshans. One is an original from 1907. They are pretty cool to look at!

4. PetRock

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    How is the quality of meat for the LF? We have a few extra boys that aren't going to make the cut and we are planning on eating them. I read somewhere that Langshans have very white meat that is tasty. I am hoping that that's correct because my friend with the farm is looking for a dual purpose breed or two. They have to be decent layers and good for meat in order for her to want to breed them. [​IMG]

5. thorleif

thorleif Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    South Wales, UK.
    The meat on LF are exellent, but unfortunatly slow to grow. I find the boyos have enough meat on them by 13-15 months, so that's an expesive broiler? But.....Worth it.

6. PetRock

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Thank you for the info! My extra boys are free ranging on a couple acres on a farm so that should cut down on the amount of feed they are eating. I still have the four black boys here along with a few younger boys. I have noticed that the feed consumption in my flock is up! Those boys must be chowing down!

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I couldn't begin to tell you about the meat on the bantams. I tried it ONCE with an evil sucker. Apparently he was older than I was told. I culled him, then I cooked him..

It did not end well. Let's just say the German Shepherd had issues getting the meat off! lol! I'll probably be trying again this year!

I've had the white bantams for awhile now! Got them with my blue and black bantams! I'm almost more proud of them than the blue and black bantams!

8. mrheinz77

mrheinz77 New Beginnings Poultry

May 22, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    Debi,
    This is a bantam White that I posted this summer on a Facebook group.

[​IMG]

9. PetRock

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Pretty! So you breed bantam whites but not LF?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by