Large Brown spots on eggshells

overcloudnine

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2018
I believe I have a new layer. I’ve been waiting ages for her to lay, and her sister has been laying for about 3 months now. They are EE’s. Anyway, recently her sisters eggs disappeared from the nesting box (about three days ago), and today I found this stash in the bushes. My question is, these dark marks won’t wash off. Is it possible for dirt to stain a freshly laid egg? Some aren’t stained which makes me think they are her sister, and makes me question whether there is something wrong? I’m not one to worry, but it just struck my curiosity (I originally though it was blood streaks until I floated and rinsed them)

Attachments

• 6DB9C474-119F-491E-8311-44EB287FC56E.jpeg
    6DB9C474-119F-491E-8311-44EB287FC56E.jpeg
    312.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 8DCAC9DC-56BB-47EF-AE0F-12E63C64DA0A.jpeg
    8DCAC9DC-56BB-47EF-AE0F-12E63C64DA0A.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 28
I believe I have a new layer. I’ve been waiting ages for her to lay, and her sister has been laying for about 3 months now. They are EE’s. Anyway, recently her sisters eggs disappeared from the nesting box (about three days ago), and today I found this stash in the bushes. My question is, these dark marks won’t wash off. Is it possible for dirt to stain a freshly laid egg? Some aren’t stained which makes me think they are her sister, and makes me question whether there is something wrong? I’m not one to worry, but it just struck my curiosity (I originally though it was blood streaks until I floated and rinsed them)
it's ok to eat enjoy

Pics are from before, or after, you washed them?
Yes, dirt/poop can stain the shell, especially if in a damp environment or on there too long.
Some birds regularly poop when laying, I have a couple of those.

Back
Top Bottom